Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

750x EQ suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schectcustom5, Nov 3, 2005.

1. schectcustom5

schectcustom5

Nov 3, 2005
    San Diego
    I just bought my new Schecter Custom-5 bass and im playing it through a SWR 750x and a SWR Megoliath and i was just looking for some suggestions on EQing the 750x. i seem to get the low and the high where i want it but the mids are just making me crazy. im looking for a little punch but not soo much where the note clairty is diminished my band plays in Drop C so its kinda difficult to set the mid Freq and lev to match the high and the low. Any suggestions is helpfull im just interested in how other bass players would eq their Amp.

Thankyou
    Robert

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Where do you have the aural enhancer set at?

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's a very good question. the au sucks out low mids, and can really mess up your live tone. i use mine from all the way to the left to 12 o'clock, but usually right around 8 or 9 o'clock.

as far as a mid setting. for what you describe, you might want to boost somewhere between 350 - 500 Hz.

4. schectcustom5

schectcustom5

Nov 3, 2005
    San Diego
    i have the aural enhancer at around 9 oclock...and thanks i will try that tonight...

5. schectcustom5

schectcustom5

Nov 3, 2005
    San Diego
    i tried boosting at 300-500 Hz and i cut through alright but it still sounded like poop.. i think because im down tuned to C im going to put on heavier strings. right now im playing thorugh the elixers that came standerd but they are just slaping around everywhere and making it sound like crap. well again if anyone wants to give any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks a bunch
    Robert

6. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    spectacular

If you play in C you produce frequencies unheard to human ear. So you´ll sound crap anyway.
    I know, I´ve been there.

-V

7. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    "my band plays in Drop C so its kinda difficult to set the mid Freq and lev to match the high and the low."

why don't you try tuning your B string up to a C, ive done that before when i recorded bass tracks for a friends band and it sounded nice and punchy, i normally play in standard tuning and dont normally play stuff that heavy but it seemed to work pretty good.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good idea, but i think he's using a 4 to play in "drop C".

Here's the deal - By the time you get to "Drop C" on an E string its going to sound like total crap as there isn't enough tension opn the strings. Consider either getting a 5, OR having your brige and nut modified so you can strin your bass with the BEAD of a 5 string set. You can tune them all up a half step and the bass will sound WAAAAAAAAAY better. ;)

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Try it flat and see what your basses eq. can do. Also try it flat and decrease frequencies so that the ones you want become more prevalent. This is a secret of great mixing. This will be more effective when the band is playing then when playing alone at home.