1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

76 Fretless Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vance MacLean, Mar 13, 2016.

1. The neck may be authentic, but the tuners look wrong (I'd think they'd be the clover leaf type), and it's either a more modern P/J body, or was the original body with a J pup added, and refinished.

Assuming the neck is authentic, which I'm not enough of an expert to know for sure (but it does look like it is to me), I wouldn't be comfortable paying more than $600 just because of all that's going on... Would love that neck though.

If the neck wasn't authentic, no more than $300.

But that's me. I'm cheap.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It looks like the paint job is alright but that J was routed in horrendously, it also looks like it doesn't have a cover on it. I don't think those tuners are right but I may be wrong on that one. I like the added string retainer but that is another ding on the value. At that price, I would say it is a little high assuming the rest checks out but that really isn't too far out of line with our crappy dollar.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  3. Thanks!!! The tuners looked sketchy to me as well, and i also thought the routing was a little off, but i would lose definition when i zoomed in.

Vance

Matthew_84 likes this.
  4. I think you're right about the bridge pickup missing the cover, and likely why there's such a gap in the routing.

5. It may be both poor routing and missing cover.
    I don't think there were any factory PJs then.
    A cover would hide the gap, at least some.
    Play it and see what it's like.
    Maybe it is just what you are seeking.
    Maybe it's not even as good as we think it might be.

Not a fan of the color.

6. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    it's a refin, been routed for the J pickup (that looks like an early Schecter Jazz pickup in there) and extra pot.
    I'd expect a 76 to have a maple fretless board, but I don't know for sure what fretless options were in 76.
    Machine heads are not original. Can't zoom in well enough to see if the pickguard has screw holes for the tug bar, it may not be original either.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There is an added switch, not pot, and no tug bar screw holes. There are three pictures, I didn't realize this at first either. It is also missing a pickguard screw on closer inspection but that is minimal at this point.

8. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I didn't see the other pics either. So yes, not an original guard. The switch may or may not have required a rout - on my 75 P/J wood was routed to make room for the 3rd pot.
    It's definitely a Schecter jazz pickup - they fit a standard jazz rout but have a different, oval top:
    2509693681_206a359a60_b.

9. Havent read all of what others said but the neck looks totally correct he logo and how the rosewood meets the headstock, tuners look to be maybe grovers or schallers, obviously cant tell if the body is original but if it is doesnt matter much as its refinished and routed for the J badly. The pickguard isnt original to '76. The bridge looks like a 70s P bridge, the knobs have the same chrome flaking. The P pickup could be original the poles look like it maybe but those photos kinda suck. Ask if the neckplate has a F on it.

If the body is original id pay maybe $600 for it if the P pickup is original id pay $800 but id try to get it for less and always this is only if the neck is in good functioning shape