1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

76 J-Bass - Too Good to be True?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hans Gruber, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
  2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    It looks like it is a refin but that is the only "issue" I see with it besides the listed strap button.

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I'm not so sure, why do you think it's a refin?

4. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    There is blue underneath the black in the neck pocket.

5. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I'm always a little leery of basses sold unstrung.

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    I'm leery of that too.

I don't think it's uncommon for 70's Fender basses to have a different color under the final finish. I've had two with a lighter color under the darker finish.

If the seller can get 1500 for that bass, I'm going to raise the price on my '77 lefty Mustang.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, it's definitely original paint, not a refin.
    it's a 1977 judging by the pot codes, but they're essentially the same as a '76. easily worth what it's going for so far, but i think it'll be one of the really heavy ones (12-13 lbs), so not my cup of tea.

8. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    They guy said it was 10 lbs. It's hard to tell if it's really all original or not due to some of your concerns. If it really is, I've seen basses like this go for $2500 to $3000 even.

9. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, maybe it has a serious twist or something in the neck.

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009

That's also not uncommon for 70's Fenders. My Mid 70's jazz bass developed an S-Warp in the neck that was unfix-able. I've heard that neck issue from other 70's era Fender owners in comparison to other decades.

I'd hope the necks OK. Maybe the seller can take pics of the neck with strings attached.

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
  12. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
    Def got some funk happening back there. With that micro-tilt neck and the picks under the bridge screws, could be at the limits..

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021