1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'76 P bass examination

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brettf, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Something seems fishy about this bass, the way the headstock looks.
    I thought id give it a post here and see if one of you could determine if theres something weird going on here or if its a straight up '76 p bass.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/11456726

2. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Smallish pics but looks like body and neck were refinished, or at least attacked. Odd how the body finish is partially worn away. Scraping off the neck varnish like that??? I am guessing the refin was a drug induced mod. Nice cig burn on the head. :D

3. Get the serial number (it's on the headstock decal) and look it up - that'll confirm it 100%, BUT I'd say it looks right to me - a real "roadworn" !!.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I would trust a decal the least. I'd ask for pics of neck stamp and pots.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Ditto. Especially given the condition of the neck finish.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Looks like a 76 to me - but I've seen all original 76's cheaper than this one...or at least in the same ballpark.

Plus, there's a good chance that thing is HEAVY

7. The Decal would have the serial number on it for a 76 - and if that had been tampered with, or was a fake, then that would stick out a mile.

The pots on my 1973 lasted until about 1975 before I had to replace them the first time - and I've lost count of how many times I've changed them since, so I wouldn't worry about them - even though he says they're original.

I wouldn't buy it unless I saw it in the flesh and played it - just 'cos its a 76 Precision doesn't necessarily mean its a good one - the neck could be badly warped and you wouldn't be able to tell that from the pics!!.

As the guys say, a sight of the neck stamp would prove it 100% either way, but the case looks "right" and the overall mojo gives me a good feeling about it.

8. How do you think this bass would compare to a 57 or 62 reissue?

9. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    They're all P Basses but there's a big difference in late 70s models and 50s and early 60s. Not sure about the reissues, but late 50s and early 60s Ps should have a nice wide, shallow neck opposed to the chunky 70s necks. Also, late 70s Fenders are more often than not pretty heavy. To me, anything post-72/73 is risky when it comes to Fender.