1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

76 P-Bass...is it really?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lupien, Apr 16, 2010.

1. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    I`m about to make a trade for this 76' P_bass. I was told it is all original other then pickups and the paint was sanded off...

But after looking at it for a while something seems off with it but I can't really tell...The headstock seems weird to me, but then again I could be completely wrong. The serial number on the neck plate does match though with a 76. I havent seen in it person as its over 2 hours away from here so I dont want to drive out there for nothing...

What do you guys think?
    Fender7. Fender3.

Fender2.
    Fender9.

2. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Must be an early 76 because that's the year the serial # system changed. That's a strange looking truss rod nut, but the headstock looks good.

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Here are pics of my 76, hope they help.

P1000664.

P1000667.

P1000744.

P1000742.

4. *decal*
    :ninja:

5. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    I don't know there's something off about the whole thing, but it could be just because you said there is. The headstock is a bit different, and the body is a bit off, I don't know why.

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I think the body looks fine as does the headstock, the only thing iffy is the fender logo decal.

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I think the headstock looks ok. I have seen other mid-70s Fender basses with oddly cut headstocks; nothing new here :)

8. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    The decal was changed in 1976 so some of the early basses from that year will have the older style with the serial # on the neck plate which should be between 650000-750000.

9. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I don't think the op is talking about the decal. The two headstock examples are cut a bit differently -- the top one (OP's) is a little smaller. I've seen these smaller headstocks before on mid-70s Fenders.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    non-original pickups, refin, tuners are wrong, IMHO. The headstock shape is wrong, truss nut wrong, decal wrong, what's not to like for say $600, max with a good case.

BTW, even SOME pristine '76 P-basses were "not Fenders best," IMHO. Get a Roadworn P and you will be much happier.

11. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Jim, that headstock shape may be a bit different, but is all Fender, and I have seen others just like it. Also, the truss rod nut is obviously just replaced.

Marcus Miller's original 77 Jazz is cut just like the OP's example. I have a real clear photo of his 77 in an old Bassplayer mag, but couldn't find a great photo online just now. If you look closely at the photo linked below, it is fairly obvious, though:

http://sp0.fotolog.com/photo/0/17/65/drister/1238631315499_f.jpg

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    either that body used to be finished or it's a fake. that is one ugly piece of wood and fender would have never put it out with a clear finish.

i'm with jim carr on this one. i'm not feeling it. it just doesn't seem to add up.

13. Too many red flags.

14. sarlscharisma

sarlscharisma

Nov 6, 2007
    Tuners should be nickel but these are chrome which are later '70s. The truss rod is aftermarket replacement.

I would steer clear for any money. I've had '70s fender dogs before and they are rubbish and always appear the likes of ebay for that reason. But there are some 70's gems out there for sure.

15. The headstock looks to fin where the "O" of precision is!

16. He says the paint has been sanded in the original post.

The neck stamp indicates that it's a 77. Wouldn't that make the logo and serial number system wrong for this bass?

01 - Precision Bass
    03 - Fretted Maple Neck
    32 - Week 32
    7 -1977
    5 - Friday

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I was trying to figure out that code, didn't see the 5 until I saw your post. Good eye. I was thining it could have been 0103 _ 327 which would make this a 72, the earliest year they did that type of stamp, but then it should have a white pickguard.

Either way, the pickguard isn't right for a 77. My two 78s Ps, and all the 74-79 Ps in the fender bass book all have an extra screw just ahead of the bottom corner of the pickup. Jazzes in the same era have a random center screw as well, never really knew why those were there, but you can tell if the guard isn't legit for the era easily enough when that is missing.

I agree that the headstock looks odd. It doesn't seem to have enough of a point IMO.

18. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks everyone,

I think i`ll pass on that bass... I just have a weird feeling from it and reading your posts I see that there might be thing wrong with it, although nobody seems sure, I dont want to take a chance....

I`m sure if I had posted pics of a P-bass like Aspidites's, there wouldn`t be so many questions about it cause it looks much better for sure! Thats a sweet bass right there!

If it was for a low price I might try it out but this was for a trade for my Music Man Stingray 5 fretless.... I now feel its not really worth it.

Thanks guys

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If it were close to your place, it might be worth checking out. The pics aren't great, and seeing the bass "in person" can not only give you a better idea of what you're dealing with, but also give you way more bargaining power. However, with it being two hours away, I'd just look elsewhere...too many red flags.

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Agreed. The aesthetics alone would put me off of this one. Look at the grain (so to speak) on the OP's pics and then look at Aspidites'... no comparison.