76' Ripper & a sadowsky Outboard Preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tajue17, Dec 8, 2005.

1. I have a 76 Ripper that I don't really play anymore. it has a thin bright sound common with the maple basses of that time. anyway since I have been playing Musicmans I'm wondering if I got a nice preamp like the sadowsky outboard preamp and ran the Ripper through that do any of you guys who are familair with this preamp do you think it would make a big difference to the rippers sound--> I basicly want more "presence or enhancement" which I'm hoping would give it a active humbucker sound. IDK any opinions?
  2. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    A Sadowsky outboard preamp will make any bass sound as if it is on steroids!!
  3. How much does a 76-foot bass weigh? Is it playable when it's that big?

I think maybe a Sansamp would do the job for you. They have a fairly present sound. Give one a try if you can.
  4. well the thing is I can get the sadowsky for $45 off a kid in my area who really doesn't know what it is, his ex girlfriend bought it for him when he tried bass guitar and he doesn't play it anymore so I told him its just an EQ and all the basses have them built in now so nobody would want it :hyper:
  5. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
  6. Hell of a girlfriend... thats an expensive presie...
  7. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY

buy this now without hesitation .... go now!!!! GO!
  8. Okay Okay I'm gonna Buy it this afternoon. he isn't advertising it so its defenitely mine. I was over this kids house and seen it laying in his bass case thats how I spotted it and then he told me the story, this girl bought him a bass, the pre-amp, an Ibanez rock and play practice walkman, a hartke practice amp, and a bunch of strings and tab books then a month later SHE dumped him for a kid that already knew how to play guitar and was in a gigging cover band, and she didn't want anything back :hyper: .

get this the bass is a cheapo HONDO! I'm really curious what the Hondo sounded like with the sadowsky DI???? the guy at the store where they bought the stuff must of had a sales pitch like this---> now if you buy this 79.00 hondo and this here little black box you will never have to worry about someone stealing your gear and at the same time your gear will sound like a 2500.00 sadowsky, AND they will think its only the Hondo that sounds sooo good so remember to tell them where you bought the bass and I'll make sure I have a few in stock :cool:

I'd love to get my Ripper on the same sonic level as my Stingrays!
  9. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I have had a sadowsky outboard for quite awhile now (I also own a Sadowsky RV-4), and I use it mostly for my Passive fenders. what it has done besides boost the signal, it has brought out my passive basses tone. it doesint really color the sound of the bass too much, it just enhances it (not sure if that makes sense to you) but you should spend some time with it in the beginning to find the tones you like, theres a ton of info on this forum about them as well, so be paitient with it and you will never want to get rid of it.

BTW I also have a SansAmp that I use and its a great unit as well... very different than the Sadowsky though.
    - Tom
  10. I like the Ripper sound better...yes more volume, and clarity is always welcome, though....