1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

77-78 p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jan 27, 2006.

1. doing the pawn shop crawl on my last roster day from work i came across this 77-78 fender p for $2200aus (the guys wife is good friends with my mother so i can get it for $1800aus-ish) and well,its the best p-bass ive ever played, rosewood board, black with black guard and hardware and a emg p bass pup in it in 90% great condition..had new flats on it and wow...great finger funk action, couldnt resist playing what is hip and a few stevie wonder and marvin gaye tunes...

is something like that worth the price? and is it possible the black hardware is stock? or is it most likely a customisation?

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I don't know much about Fender models, as in the black hardware and such.. I just want to say I love my '73 precision bass. I put it down for a while and was playing my jazz bass and fretless I just picked it back up again after 3 weeks and it has blown everything out of the water. So with my very very little experiance in 70's fenders, the only conclusion I have come up with is they are fantastic basses!

3. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't think I have seen stock black hardware in any 70's fender, but I realized that if you like it, go for it. I spent the same ammount on my '78 as I would have on a new MIA p, and I think the quality is similar. It just made sense that the old ones are going up in price, and a new one will loose value, at least for the next 15 years or so.

It's just a matter of time before people are snatching up the 2006 fenders because they are sooooo much better and have more mojo than these 2030 models.