Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

77-78 p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jan 27, 2006.

1. doing the pawn shop crawl on my last roster day from work i came across this 77-78 fender p for $2200aus (the guys wife is good friends with my mother so i can get it for $1800aus-ish) and well,its the best p-bass ive ever played, rosewood board, black with black guard and hardware and a emg p bass pup in it in 90% great condition..had new flats on it and wow...great finger funk action, couldnt resist playing what is hip and a few stevie wonder and marvin gaye tunes...

is something like that worth the price? and is it possible the black hardware is stock? or is it most likely a customisation?

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I don't know much about Fender models, as in the black hardware and such.. I just want to say I love my '73 precision bass. I put it down for a while and was playing my jazz bass and fretless I just picked it back up again after 3 weeks and it has blown everything out of the water. So with my very very little experiance in 70's fenders, the only conclusion I have come up with is they are fantastic basses!

3. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't think I have seen stock black hardware in any 70's fender, but I realized that if you like it, go for it. I spent the same ammount on my '78 as I would have on a new MIA p, and I think the quality is similar. It just made sense that the old ones are going up in price, and a new one will loose value, at least for the next 15 years or so.

It's just a matter of time before people are snatching up the 2006 fenders because they are sooooo much better and have more mojo than these 2030 models.