1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'77 p-bass - need price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by caveman, Apr 26, 2001.

1. caveman

caveman

Nov 19, 2000
    Poppin the ol' cherry here - first time on talk bass.

Found a '77 p-bass, plays nice, desent shape (body has been rode hard put up wet) but still, has a bit of character.

Price???? what's the range? Guy wants $900.00
    sounds like too much to me, but I really don't know.

Anyone give me a heads up.

Oaf - a large, slow, dim-witted person
    (My cave is full of them)

2. Hey Bassheavy, I was wondering why you mentioned "any other color than sunburst"? Is that undesireable?

I own a '77 sunburst Jazz and it's in excellent shape...does the original sunburst hack away at the value...?

3. i think sunburst adds to the value, i don't have a vintage Fender but the sunburst of natural are always more cash.

i.e. if you went to musiciansfreind for a new fender bass it always says add $$ for sunburst or add $$ for natural.

this is assumption because i am not a huge fender player but it seems to make sense.

4. I just purchased a '78 P Bass (sunburst) for $795. It has some cosmetic damage to the body, but is completely playable and sounds wonderful. It kinda looks "Jaco-fied", if you know what I mean. It also has a Bartolini P pickup, a Bartolini musicman style pickup in the bridge possition, and a BadAss II Bridge.

I think I got a good deal for my buck, but $900 sounds a little steep for a stock '77. If you decide to go for it, you may want to make him a lower offer. You never know. You may get a great deal too.