'77 p-bass - need price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by caveman, Apr 26, 2001.

1. caveman

Nov 19, 2000
    Poppin the ol' cherry here - first time on talk bass.

Found a '77 p-bass, plays nice, desent shape (body has been rode hard put up wet) but still, has a bit of character.

Price???? what's the range? Guy wants $900.00
    sounds like too much to me, but I really don't know.

Anyone give me a heads up.

Oaf - a large, slow, dim-witted person
    (My cave is full of them)
  2. Hey Bassheavy, I was wondering why you mentioned "any other color than sunburst"? Is that undesireable?

I own a '77 sunburst Jazz and it's in excellent shape...does the original sunburst hack away at the value...?
  3. i think sunburst adds to the value, i don't have a vintage Fender but the sunburst of natural are always more cash.

i.e. if you went to musiciansfreind for a new fender bass it always says add $$ for sunburst or add $$ for natural.

this is assumption because i am not a huge fender player but it seems to make sense.
  4. I just purchased a '78 P Bass (sunburst) for $795. It has some cosmetic damage to the body, but is completely playable and sounds wonderful. It kinda looks "Jaco-fied", if you know what I mean. It also has a Bartolini P pickup, a Bartolini musicman style pickup in the bridge possition, and a BadAss II Bridge.

I think I got a good deal for my buck, but $900 sounds a little steep for a stock '77. If you decide to go for it, you may want to make him a lower offer. You never know. You may get a great deal too.