77 PBass updates?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blamkin, Dec 12, 2001.

1. blamkin

Nov 28, 2001
    Broomfield, Co
    Hi folks,

Has anyone tried Lindy Fralin + Ag OBP1 in a semi-old Fender PBass yet?

I'm happy with the tone of the original stuff, but am always in search of the ultimate tone...

A guitar buddy suggested these pickups, and since I didn't see a "p-tone" direct drop in replacement for the electrics, I guess I figured the OBP1 would be the actives of choice.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'll probably wind up replacing the pickups only, and retaining the original passive electrics...

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    If the bass is all original, I wouldn't do it. That bass is going up in value, if left original.
  3. blamkin

Nov 28, 2001
    Broomfield, Co
    OK, thanks -- that's food for thought.... Thanks.

My thinking is, this isn't a 58 or 62, it's a 77 -- you can get 'em for $700-$900 all day long.

I like the way it plays, and would like it to sound better...

Maybe I should just get the 58/62. :D

4. I second the leave it be theory.

Even though you can get them a dime a dozen now, being a steward of the an original MIA Pbass
    will be more rewarding and marketable in the long
    run. However , the decision is yours.
  5. Hey Bill

Another Bill here so you`ll listen to me right? ;)

I would`nt change anything on that bad boy!
    When I bought my `98 P it was a close call between that or a sunburst `78 in nm condition.Had to go for the `98 since I did`nt have the extra $200.00.IMHO anything from the 70`s or older leave stock.

How heavy is the `77 anyways?One of the reasons I deceided to go with the `98 (besides the $ factor)was I kept hearing how monsterously heavy the 70`s P`s were.