Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

77 PBass updates?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blamkin, Dec 12, 2001.

1. blamkin

blamkin

Nov 28, 2001
    Broomfield, Co
    Hi folks,

Has anyone tried Lindy Fralin + Ag OBP1 in a semi-old Fender PBass yet?

I'm happy with the tone of the original stuff, but am always in search of the ultimate tone...

A guitar buddy suggested these pickups, and since I didn't see a "p-tone" direct drop in replacement for the electrics, I guess I figured the OBP1 would be the actives of choice.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'll probably wind up replacing the pickups only, and retaining the original passive electrics...

--Bill

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If the bass is all original, I wouldn't do it. That bass is going up in value, if left original.

3. blamkin

blamkin

Nov 28, 2001
    Broomfield, Co
    OK, thanks -- that's food for thought.... Thanks.

My thinking is, this isn't a 58 or 62, it's a 77 -- you can get 'em for $700-$900 all day long.

I like the way it plays, and would like it to sound better...

Maybe I should just get the 58/62. :D

--Bill

4. I second the leave it be theory.

Even though you can get them a dime a dozen now, being a steward of the an original MIA Pbass
    will be more rewarding and marketable in the long
    run. However , the decision is yours.

5. Hey Bill

Another Bill here so you`ll listen to me right? ;)

I would`nt change anything on that bad boy!
    When I bought my `98 P it was a close call between that or a sunburst `78 in nm condition.Had to go for the `98 since I did`nt have the extra $200.00.IMHO anything from the 70`s or older leave stock.

How heavy is the `77 anyways?One of the reasons I deceided to go with the `98 (besides the $ factor)was I kept hearing how monsterously heavy the 70`s P`s were.

Usul