Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'78 Fender J: truss rod adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthias, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Hi!
    I have a '78 Fender Jazz Bass (USA) for several years now and never needed to adjust the neck. Now I have to but it does not work.
    The end of the truss rod comes out at the head stock, but I can't find any allen key wich fits. Maybe because it's an inch measure? In Europe (except UK) we only have metric screws and tools. And since I'm not the first owner I have no original tools.
    Second question: On the plate where the neck is mounted on the body is written "Fender micro neck adjust" and beside it there is a tiny hole. What does that mean?

Thanks in advance,
    Matthias

2. Well, you see! That'S what you continental get for going metric! Serves you right!

:)

Any Fender dealer should have an Allen key that will fit. Actually, any competent hardware shop should be able to supply Allen keys in inches. They do in Turkey, so they must in Austria!

The Micro neck adjust enables you to adjust the angle of the neck to the body without using shims.

Andy

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thank you, Andy!
    Everything clear now.