1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD '78 Fender Musicmaster with several upgrades

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by funkyjudge, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    SOLD

For sale here is a vastly-improved short-scale 1978 Fender Musicmaster Bass. This "black beauty" has been upgraded significantly since I purchased it as a "project bass" in late 2010. It was my wife's bass, but she has advanced to playing a long-scale 5-string, so this one needs to go to someone who will play and enjoy it!

A little background -- I purchased the bass from a woman who said that she had been keeping it stored under her bed for about 15 to 20 years, knowing that it needed work. The input jack and control pots were bad and the bass had layers of "gunk" on it so it needed cleaning in a bad way. Since purchasing the bass, the following upgrades and repairs have been made:

1. Installed a new, heavier, strings-through-body bridge to replace the crappy original, which was bent (and I don't mean that it was a "bent steel" bridge, although it certainly was one), rusted, and had saddles that didn't like being adjusted.
    2. Purchased and had professionally-installed an Aero "Musicmasterer" pickup to replace the original Fender pickup, which was horrible (in case you didn't know, the older Musicmaster basses had guitar pickups with six pole pieces under the four bass strings and the sound quality was both uneven and basically atrocious).
    3. Had all new wiring installed -- not just for the new pickup, but also for the control pots and jack.
    4. While it was in for these upgrades, had a professional setup done, and a new set of Chromes flatwound strings installed.
    5. Performed a thorough cleaning, so that the jet black finish (which has no marks on the front, just a few on the side and back) shines brilliantly.

There is an area on the back of the bass where the string ferrules for the through-body bridge was installed where the wood was slightly damaged and repaired, but nothing that affects playability. Other than that, the bass is in remarkable condition for a 34 year old bass. The neck has a couple of small "dings" on the back (not very deep, and not anything that my very sensitive left hand feels while playing it).

This is NOT a lightweight bass -- particularly for a short-scale -- weighing just about exactly 9 lbs. However, it sounds just fantastic, easily rivaling my American Standard P-Bass in sound output and deep-down "thump".

This bass comes with the super-flimsy original chipboard case. If you want, a brand-new Access gig bag can be included rather than, or in addition to, the original case.

If you are seeking a 100% original Musicmaster Bass, complete with the feeble and uneven sound plus cheap bridge, this isn't the bass you want. However, if you want a great short-scale Fender bass that plays and sounds great, this is it!

Here is a picture of the Musicmaster, along with my wife's first bass (a pink Dean, which has since been sold) ...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=230043&d=1317402560

More detailed digital photos will be posted within the next 24 hours.

Asking $625 shipped, with both case and gig bag, or $585 with just the chipboard case (more than $800 has been invested in this bass, between the purchase price and repairs ... $865, if you count the purchase price for the gig bag).

Thank you for looking ... please feel free to ask any questions.

Doug ("funkyjudge")

2. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Banned Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Bump for a great guy, great TBer, with great gear and bump for the Musicmaster which is an amazing classic bass - this price is a bargain!

Doug, you sold that Pink Dean? Shazaam!

Happy New Year!

Joey

3. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Yes, Joey -- that pink Dean bass is spoken for, and I think you know that guy who has spoken for it!

4. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! In Memoriam

Dougster bumpster

5. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Thanks, guys!!!

Denny -- You know Larry's 5-string bass (the one where the wood "gives you wood")? That is now MY bass!

6. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Banned Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    only real men play pink!

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Any more pics?

8. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Coming tomorrow (I posted remotely and don't have my digital camera with me, but I will get some brand new pic's shot tomorrow).

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Good deal! I'm interested, of sho.

10. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    In taking pictures, I realized how difficult it is to get good, representative shots of a black instrument, but here's a couple:

11. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Two photos of the damaged areas:

12. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    In an attempt to get shots where reflections or fingerprints don't make it look like damage to the finish, here's a couple more:

13. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    (see yesterday's posts for six new digital photos of this bass)

14. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Some interest expressed, but still available.

15. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    TTT

16. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Still available ... with or without gig bag.

17. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Responded to all PMs regarding this bass ... as of Saturday afternoon, it is still available. I also have some local (Philadelphia area) interest, so this thread "could" be closing soon for a local deal.

18. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    (see prior post) -- If you are still interested, please let me know soon.

Thanks!
    Doug ("funkyjudge")

19. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I did some research on ebay, and here is what I found ....

music master | eBay

As you can see, all but one of these five Musicmaster basses have "Buy-it-Now" prices significantly higher than what I am asking. The black '78 Musicmaster on this list (not my bass, I assure you!) has had the pickup and pots upgraded like mine, but not the jack, bridge, or balance of control wiring ... and he is asking $900 or best offer for his Musicmaster! All of the others are nowhere near as nice ... nor upgraded .... compared to mine.

20. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Sunday Bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.