1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'78 Fender Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dewi, Mar 11, 2009.

1. dewi

dewi

Nov 10, 2008
    I am looking to change out the pickup from my musicmaster. What does everyone suggest? I was thinking about a blade pickup of some sort due to the possible string spacing MAYBE being tighter. I think, also, i will move the pickup closer towards the bridge. Any ideas and information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    The best thing you can do with these basses (and a little cheaper than a new pickup as well) is to replace the pots on these (or just wire the pickup straight to the output jack) as the pickup itself is ok , it is the crappy pots on these basses the kill the tone , you can change the pickup but it wont make much difference until you've swapped out the pots so start there first

3. dewi

dewi

Nov 10, 2008
    so if i were to just hardwire the pickup to the jack then my sans-amp would handle the tone and volume?

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The stocker is a guitar pickup, shoehorned in to a bass. :eyebrow: I've read reports that a straight-to-jack bypass can really wake it up.

Aero makes a single-coil replacement pickup that has four poles, kind of like the original P-bass pickups. Think that runs about $125. I'm tempted to try that.

I've also seen mention of Seymour Duncan Hot Rail pickups being good. (There's a bridge and a neck model - my hunch is the neck is the one we'd want.)

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Ahhh... The beloved Musicmaster! MarkDavid speaks the truth... The original controls are tone-sucking vibe killers... Straight to the jack the pickup is a barky lil' guy with plenty of gusto and take charge attitude...

Right now, I'm running a HotRails in mine, and believe it or not, it may be too hot for my tastes... I haven't gigged mine for a while, and I just ordered a slew of pots and capacitors, so it's going to get a re-wire soon. I've got a single-set gig this weekend, but have a four-setter coming up in a few weeks. Maybe the re-wire will happen sooner rather than later!

I'm in love with the '78... Totally under-rated IMO

-robert

6. dewi

dewi

Nov 10, 2008
    sweet man, yeah i love it. it was a flea market find and i saw it, played it, thought about it everyday for a week and went and bought it the following week. i tried talking the guy down, but he got me. he said, "i cant go any lower, plus if you didnt really want it you would not have come back." i am a pretty savy negoitaor (crappy speller though) and he just kinda shut me up.

Which pots would i use for this bass? 250k/500k/1,000,000k :) Would it be 250k for the tone and 250k for the volume?

I am very excited to get this thing up and running. Plus i will be exchanging out pickups in the majority of my instruments.

7. I got a Musicmaster as well and am thinking about totally replacing the electronics. As this is not my main instrument and I have no electronics experience, this will also serve as my first "project".

Thinking of a getting a new pick guard and starting from scratch. To keep it simple, my intention is to wire the pickup to a 250k volume and then to the output jack (no tone control).

I am having trouble finding a pickup that is suitable for the size of the instrument, however. In terms of the spacing, my measurement is 17mm center to center. I was thinking about installing a Nordstrand Big Single, but the spacing is 19mm and the case might be too big. Anybody have suggestions?

Also, I am thinking about replacing the bridge (the intonation ability of the current bridge is terrible....2 strings share one adjuster). Any thoughts there?

8. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I wouldn't worry about changing the pickup , the pickup in this bass is perfectly good , it is the tone and volume pots that need swapping out , swap these out for better pots or wire the pickup straight to the jack and you will immediately notice a marked improvement