1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

78? musicmaster mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Apr 29, 2010.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I have been lent a musicmaster by an odd duck of a friend who doesnt really play bass but has had this bass since it wass in new (which she thinks was 1978) the SN is S 839710

From reading a bit it seems like this bass could benefit from some mods but i'm somewhat reluctant to do anything I can't undo (although I'm working on her) The value of the bass only seems to be $500 and I'm betting making it more playable and better sounding might give it a net zero effect on the value as they really aren't desirable to begin with.

It just seems like a cool bass is lurking somewhere in this thing. But, it has several problems. The tuners are terrible at holding strings - i have yet to get a G string to stay on (no comments please :D). The bridge is an old tele style two strings per saddle unit without much adjustment potential. Also i hear that the pickup and electronics are a bit odd, including an "always on" treble attenuation in the circuit.

any thoughts from the fender crowd in the know? \

thanks

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nothing? really? :eyebrow:

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'll take a swipe...

On the electronics, try wiring the pickup straight to the output jack... You may be surprised at what it can do! Also, the stock controls in these (or my '78s at least) kind of blow... After several mods (including a Raven Labs P-Retro, numerous pickups) I recently rewired it back using CTS pots and a Sprague OrangeDrop capacitor... I kept the original electronics (because you never know...)

Never had a problem with the tuners, and the bridge'll get you 'close-enough' for rock-n-roll!!

Here's my '78...

78_musicmaster_1.

-robert