Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'78 P Bass Bridge P/U Retrofit: Jazz or P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I can't take it anymore. After playing my 55-02 for some time I've decided that my P bass must have another pickup added. I feel that the second dimension of another pickup adds to what I can do with the instrument. My question is this: What are the different tonal characteristics of a j pickup versus a p pickup in the bridge position?

2. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I know the thread is asking which PU, but let me at least voice my opinion. My 78P doesn't have much in the way of versatility, but what it does, it does the best. The late 70's P is the most under rated fender out there, and if you already have a versitle Lakland that you can use for everything else, consider leaving it stock.

Just my .02. I'm not bashing you, I just think such a cool bass is best left alone.

3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    you could also shoot for middle ground sonically and add a dual coil J-style p/u like a Nordstrand NJ4SE or Sadowsky

With either of these you'll get the vibe of a J p/u coupled with the dual coil sound of a P p/u.

All the best,

R

4. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    late seventies p are by what was said earlier as the most underrated and as i feel, undervalued Fenders unlike their jazz counterparts.

my opinion would to put a single coil jazz.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Maybe I should sell mine.$$$$$

I have a '76. She got a SD Hot single coil in the bridge 20 years ago, so she gives the best of both worlds. There is a problem with the single coil route, however. Engaging the bridge PUP adds noise. Maybe the polarity could be reversed?:meh:

Anyway, I'm considering selling mine. I take her out now and then, but the younger girl is getting more action. She deserves better.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Adding any J type single coil to the Ps humbucking design will add noise. You could try a hum cancelling J type in the bridge position to cure this. SD, Bill Lawrence and just about all the manufacturors make them. Or, you could add a MM style humbucker there for something a bit different.