78' P-Bass Or Corvette std ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChRiS bE, May 5, 2002.

1. What do you think guys.......

I went to my local warwick dealer the other day and tried more or less everything......and to be honest i liked everthing. The model that interested me was the Corvette std. There were 2 in this shop. One at £645 (std and very light) Or one at £699 Bunja (<<<is that how you spell it) wood and a lot heaver. If i were to get a warwick it would prob be that one.

N E way..... in the blue corner so to speak....

A 78' (i think) P-bass in a nateral finnish with maple neck. looking at about £800 for this one
    plays real nice and looks cool to! (compleate with pickup and bridge covers)

The guy in the shop with the P-bass belives that 70's P's are becoming more and more rare here in England.

At the moment i will prob go for the P-Bass

Any thoughts.......?

Thanx in advance, Chris :)
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If the P-bass plays well and appears well constructed, I'd go for that one.
  3. Yea I think your right m8.

One arguement for the fender is that if you turn up to audition with a decent fender, you are more likely to be taken seriously than if you come with a warwick,

To be honest i think that I will prob be the owner of a warwick next year any way

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Right now I have a Warwick Corvette Standard, and a 78 P bass in my posession. The 78 P bass was lent to me (with an option to buy - I'm not buying). The P bass has been sitting in my closet for about a year now.

I played them side by side and the Corvette has a lot more depth, warmth and character. The P was a slight bit more midrangy. I was told that the mid to late seventies were some of the worst years for fenders. The one I have has a slightly warped neck and the dead spots that are associated with lots of old fenders. It also needs to have it's pots replaced.

I have 3 Fender basses, and I'm still not sure why so many people swear by these things - because they were the only ones that were available 25 years ago? Because they want that same exact sound as the basses from 25 years ago??? Because they're used to them and they feel comfortable because of that?

If you're a Fender man and have been playing them for years, you'll probably be disappointed with the Warwick. If you're new to both basses I think the Warwick is undoubtedly the better bass.
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    You can't go wrong with a Pbass. You can get away in almost any musical situation (rock,punk,country,etc. with a P, Warwick's tend to be the choice of Rock&Roll players, But I'm a Fender guy so this is just my biased( ;) ) opinion.
  6. Funkstar....Thats more or less exactaly the same info as the guy in the guitar shop gave me..

Thax for backing that up :)
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

that's bull. they've only been the choice of rockers and little kids since ibanez gave them the torch in 2000 or so...

before that it was jazz guys, r&b guys, funk guys, and a few rockers (p-nut) paying warwicks bills.

i've never played a rock gig in my life, and my warwick has fit into every gig i've ever played (jazz combo, funk, fusion, reggae, hip-hop, r&b, etc etc etc)

sorry man...but i just have to represent ;)
  8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    If 800 British pounds is correctly about $1200 US dollars, that is pretty high for a late 70's P unless it is mint condition. I found my 78 P (true, I am in the US) for $400 just a couple of years ago. Don't know about England, though. Maybe P's are much rarer there.

I also have a Warwick Corvette Standard, passive model. Between these two, I think the P has a lot more bottom end. Plus, if the tone doesn't quite fit you, you can change out the pickups to a variety by Duncan, Dimarzio, etc...and make it so that the original can be easily reinstalled if you ever want to.

If the Warwick is an active Corvette, then it depends on whether of not you like the Warwick sound. It seems that people either love it or hate it.

Another thing to take into consideration is the neck material on the Corvette. The older (pre 2000) have wenge necks that have a totally different feel then the current okanvol (sp?) necks. I have two Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 strings, one older one with the wenge neck and one newer one with the okanvol neck and sound wise, I can't hear a difference. But they FEEL totally different. Again, both of these woods feel totally different that the high gloss polyester finish on the back of 70's P necks. Some players like the feel of 70's era P necks with this finish, some hate it.

Bottom line for all of this, which feels and sounds best to you.
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Okay okay don't have a bird dude! As I said I'm a diehard Fender guy and it was just my opinion!;)

You can't really argue that today's R&R players tend to go towards Warwick they have that nice modern piano tone, I'm just expressing what I see in there mag adds and what I see in my local music scene, Sorry if I ruffled your feathers a little W5 I didn't mean to it was just my opinion!
    It's all good!:cool: But as you represent so must I!
  10. I reckon that i will be able to get the price down a tad...Even if it is only £50 less but that seams to be the general price. It is in very good condition (not mint though) and has the bridge and pickup covers and thumbplate.

The guy in the shop.(who i see quite often and know him rather well) belives that it will be very hard to get a decent 70's (or 60's for that matter) P-bass in about 12 months time (in the UK)

In other words he is recemending that I get it now while i still can.

He has loads of basses. But only 3 P-basses. One is the one i am interseted in, One i have been told is not that good. And the other 2 are a pair in a rare green colour (one fretted and 1 fretless) and he is not selling them for under £6000 for the pair.

He is also says that if any more P-Basses come in that i like better i can swap it (or pay any differeance that might be applicable)

Here is a pic btw. (this is not the one but it is the same colour etc...Only the one i want has a black pickgard)

11. I picked up the P-Bass today..:)

It is 77 btw not 78

my mistake

Thanx for you thoughts :)
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Wow Chris!! That is a really sweet Pbass, I inquierd to Bob about that same bass. Nice score I'm sure you'll be happy with it, Congrats.
  13. that is not the exact one...mine has a Black pickgard and is 77 not 74

Thanx for your thoughts :)