1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

79 Musicman Sabre preamp problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boombass76, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Hi,

I have a small problem with my 79 Sabre. The middle switch, which I think should reverse the phase, seems to only be working in one of the positions - when it points towards the bridge.

When I flick it the other way, there is still sound, but it sounds like I am playing through a telephone speaker :confused:

I took out the control plate, but I couldn't see any wires that had come off, and since I am very non-technical, I put it back on...

It's a minor problem as I like the sound of it very much as it is, but I am curious to know what tonal possibilities I am missing out on of course :)

So, I was hoping that someone might have an idea what the problem could be?

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    That's what the phase switch does. The only thing wrong with it is it was a horrible idea.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    sounds like it's working as normal.

I'm only half kidding. This was a good idea on their guitars of the day.....not so good on the basses.

4. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    This made me laugh a little bit.:ninja:

5. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Wow... If that's true, it really was a bad idea :scowl:

I couldn't even imagine using that 'tone' as a strange effect...

Anyway, the positive thing about it is that the preamp seems to be OK, then! ;)

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Leo was just offering an option that was popular with guitarists at the time. It might even be something Musicman requested he do. I doubt he liked it personally, or else it would have been on early G&L basses.