Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'79 musicman stringray or '62 reissue jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by play paintball, Jul 14, 2005.

'79 Musicman Stingray or '62 Reissue Jazz?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2005.
  1. keep the musicman

71 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. get the jazz

35 vote(s)
    33.0%
  1. Hey, like the title says, I'm torn between the '79 musicman stingray that i have now, and a '62 fender reissue jazz bass.

My dad and i went to a local store and played the reissue, and fell in love with it, to the point where we gave the musicman to our friend who owns a music store so he can try to sell it. I'm just sitting here contemplating which bass i would rather have, and I'm just looking for some different opinions.

The things im considering are the fact that the neck is so much skinnier at the nut of the jazz, therefore making it easier to play lol. also, the musicman has a weird spot on the neck that really can't be taken out with a truss rod adjustment. the last thing, which is a bad reason to ditch the stingray, is i'm just sorta bored with it, and would like to try something new.

feel free to post your thoughts on the situation, second opinions would be appreciated.

2. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Respect your reasons for changing, we all get a little bored with our gear occasionally. I've made many mistakes in the past and let a really good instrument go and regretting it a few months and even years later. Thats a really good 'ray you have there, keep it and save for the Fender re-issue at a later date. No harm in eventually having 2 basses.

3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Do NOT sell that 'Ray, Ray.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    He's right. Familiarity breeds contempt. That's the problem.

5. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    As an owner of a '79 Stingray, I'm naturally gonna say keep the 'Ray. I've had mine for 25 years and it'll never leave my possession. :)

The funny thing is when I bought my 'Ray 25 years ago, I went out looking for a Jazz and ended up with the MM instead. No regrets other than I still want to buy a Jazz. heh heh... :p

Good luck and Have Fun!

6. mayidunk

mayidunk

Jun 20, 2005
    You'll be more inclined to play the Jazz as you are taken with it, but you'll also not feel bad about letting the Stingray go, because you didn't. Delay the need for immediate gratification, and you'll be happier in the end. Especially if the guy at the music store will hold onto that particular J-bass!

My $.02.

:D

7. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    There will always be another 62 jazz reissue - but your SR is a keeper unless the neck is twisted or something! You might love the J but you would eventually regret losing the Ray.

8. I have to echo the sentiments of the Stingray lovers here: DO NOT SELL THAT 'RAY !!!

You can always get another Jazz down the road.

Getting another '79 'Ray is another story.

Also, if you don't have the bread now, maybe your father would agree to buy the Jazz for you and you could pay him back a little at a time, like a credit card.

Just a thought.

Mike

9. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    If you can have both great; but assuming you can't and there is no great sentimental value to the stingray with the funny spot on the neck, just sell it and get the jazz. Go for what plays and sounds better to you and don't look back. If you enjoy it more, you'll play it more, you'll learn more. Hanging onto something because you might regret it later is something only old people like me are supposed to do.

10. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I dunno, man. If I was in your shoes and the neck on the 'Ray was humped and I was absolutely sure that there was nothing anyone could do about it I'd go for it. I would have to be ABSOLUTELY SURE about that neck, though.

11. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    KEEP THE RAY! like everyone else has said, there will be MANY jazz basses down the road, maybe even a refinished modded REAL 62 in your price range someday. you will never have all those old feelings with your new bass though. it can't replace the ray...

12. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If the Jazz feels better and is easier to play, I would go for the Jazz.

I might have agreed with the others about holding onto the Ray and saving for the Jazz if it wasn't for the "weird spot" you mentioned.

13. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    While this board generally despises Fenders, I say buy the Fender Jazz. I've been playing 11 years and I've had 13 basses, I get very bored with my bass and sell it for a new tone. I've got a Fender Jazz Marcus Miller and am finally content on keeping this one bass. I don't have much money as most of the other members do, so I can only afford one bass at a time, and my Fender Jazz being the most expensive bass I've ever had.

It sounds like the StingRay has some problems and it sounds like you'd like to try something new. If you've played the Jazz and like it more, then buy that one. Sure a Fender Jazz reissue is a lot easier to find than a StingRay, but who cares. If the Jazz has the tone and playability you want, I say go for it. Have you ever heard of the bassist Johnathan Maron of Groove Collective? He's an awesome bassist and plays cheap passive basses because he likes the tone more. He could afford a boutique bass, but it all comes down to tone.

Just my oppinions here. Good luck with either bass. :)

14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Definetly yes,yes keep the Ray because is a great bass and is vintage,and yes again,you need the reissue Jazz for your tonal versatilyties hungrys :D

15. hey everyone thanks alot for all the responses.

as of right now, the MM is in the store, and the guy is gonna come look at it monday. it's basically out of my hands until then, so god only knows whats gonna happen.

I'm still partial to the Jazz tho, just because of how much easier it was to play. I asked my dad how much the MM cost when he got it new, he said it was only like $350. crazy.

16. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    personally, i don't have any use for an instrument with a bad neck, so i'd have to look at it realistically--i have a stingray body and parts...granted, it's a '79, but without the original neck, it's just parts...and with a bad neck, it's art

so, i'd sell it for the jazz

17. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I own a '79 Musicman. And a '73 Fender Jazz. You can always get a reissue somewhere. You can't get a '79 Musicman because the new ones aren't made like the old ones (trust me - I've compared them both, and the '79 is in a league of its own to me). If you sell that '79, you'll be looking for another soon.

My '79 MM had a neck problem too .. for me, I couldn't get enough relief into the neck (it didn't like the .40-.95 Roto RS66LCs I use). I took it to my luthier/repairman (Mr. Jim Warwick of http://www.jwarwickguitars.com), and he planed some relief into the neck, refretted it, refinished the fingerboard, and man, what a difference. Cost a couple hundred bucks, and it was worth every penny. You might consider doing the same should you choose to keep it. You might even want to send it to Jim!

My '73 Jazz is a replacement for a '71 I sold before coming into the Army. Dumbest thing I ever did. Don't be like me - keep that Musicman. You won't regret it.

Alan

18. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i have to say that at this point in time, with the costs of vintage gear (as well as decent new instruments) going through the roof,
    selling the ray would not be a wise decision. i'd keep it as an investment to be sold at a later date(if you don't want to play it)
    cheers
    good luck
    d