1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

79 Peavey Century to a yamaha bbt500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by enim, Jan 5, 2007.

1. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    Is this a good idea?

Let me tell you bout my playing and gear.

I play EVERYTHING, literally, i think ive played pretty much every genre there is. I play a lot of jazz/blues, funk, and rock/metal.

I play a Scechter C4, through my ME-50B (currently) to a Peavey Century 200 bass series (100 watts, i picked it up for only 70 bucks) into a Peavey 210TX.

Now, i dig the sound of te Peavey, i need more power (and im ALWAYS open for a cleaner sound, the peavey likes to distort when i push it). Would the Yamaha be a fairly good choice for this situation?

2. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    I think the Yamaha BBT500 is a killer little amp. I'm thoroughly impressed with mine.

I play it through a Yamaha BBT210- the 2x10 sounds great with it, but I'm currently assembling the pieces to build my own 2x12 or (2)1x12's.

Plus, Musicians Friend is selling them for $349 right now- I wish I could get another one for that price. the local music shops down here want $1200 for the BBT500!!

3. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    bump

No one else has anything to say?

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

GREAT amp. Do a search and read review. Tweeter users say it's a little hissy, but I keep my tweeters at about 2 (on a 1-10 scale) and never had a prob. The head is plenty for small to medium small venues w one 4 ohm 4x10. For large venues, you may need PA support.

5. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    For what its worth, my first bass amp head was a Century.....and I still have it! I don't actually use it anymore, and haven't for years, but I keep it around as kind of a sentimental thing, as I remember the day that my Dad went with me to the store and lent me the money.

"That's an awful lot of money, do you think you're going to stick with this?"

Dad, I'm still plugging away almost 30 years later, and thanks for the amp!

Back to the original question......while I'm not familiar with this particular Yamaha amp, years of Yamaha use has taught me that most Yamaha products are usually a good value and at very least reasonable (or much better) quality.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I owned a century MANY years ago... just not enough volume. any modern amp like the yamaha would be great! More clean power.

7. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    the Yammie is a very good value, a very good amp ... very versatile, with many different amp sounds in one ... I find at least 5-6 very usable different sounds at the flip of a dial ... tough to go wrong here, and there have been a few proven used ones avail on here lately at even lower prices ... I have never used a Century, but my practice amp is a small Peavey Minx ... its excellent for what it is ...

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i had a century. 15 bucks used (obviously) somewhere between '89 and '91. Had the paramid, right?

i really have nothing useful to add.