Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I am seeing red right now. I am a ball of (stinky) rage. I've never needed to vent this bad on talkbass.

This (nerdy) person next door to my girlfriends apartment is thumping her (ugly) (poopish) rap music like there is no tommorow. So of course, we can't hear music all we hear is thump thump... thump. Wow impressive. I'd imagine so much talent goes into your (so called) "Music". We can't ask her nicely to stop because she is a racist (female dog). She hates us "crackers"... but it's OK to be racist against white people, because our ancestors oppressed their ancestors. :rolleyes:

So I cranked up some Metallica and blasted it in their direction... probably just made them play it louder. The security guys around these apartments are (silly gooses) who won't do (open heart surgery) for you. This is terrible. I'm thinking at 10am when they are hung over and try to sleep. I'm gonna bring over much (less than powerful) amp, crank it to 11, put on tons of effects and make them wish they were never born with the ability to hear.

:mad: I want to cry I'm so (urinated). :mad: :( :mad:

:Edited after cooling down for my language, sorry if anyone was offended:
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    couldn't you go out for a drive or something?

just leave the scene...find a relaxing stream or something to meditate by?

that's really lame dude....what you shoudl REALLY do....is go on kazaa or something and download equally ****ty rap music and pump it in her direction...if she is rascist as you say, she will be utterly disgusted at a "cracker" listening to "her" music...so she will either come and confront you about it, in which case you give the ol "bitch my momma ain't you brothas daddy" and tell her to go **** a donkey. Either that or she will bring in some authorities...which would be beneficial to you because she started it all, so she would get just as much chewing out as you might.....ya know?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    She finally stopped. I dunno, after I turned down the Metallica, 20 minutes later, she stopped thumping ultra hard. Maybe she realized what a bitch she was being.

Hmmm problem solved... uh oh. Now this thread has served it's purpose... now we can talk about... uhhh

What do you think about thumping music. I personally think it has it's place, but... not late night, people have to work in the morning, or in my case, they've turned into pansy asses with old age and can't stay up past midnight. :(
  4. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Yeah, crank it to 11 and play some funky jazz. Can't stand people like that. No respect for your neighbors. If it was a house, different story, but an apartment building...Hey I got it...make love to your girlfriend, make sure she is extra loud....go from there :D
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

All of your plans are excellent, I wish to subscribe to your bi-weekly newsletter.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, me too.
  7. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yeah I have the same problem with my suite mate. All I hear is thumping.....but the a cold hearted lesbian down the hall cursed him out for it...so that was my solution.
  8. Wanna know the best thing to do?

Place your stereo speakers against the wall in her direction, but wire them to your stereo anti phase. So one speaker is wired Positive to Positive, Negative to Negative... the other side Positive to Negative, Negative to Positive.

After 15 minutes at a high volume she'll suffer from a head ache and nausea. Its true. Anti phasing your speakers not only kills bass response but it means the speakers are pushing air opposite to each other, which means your ear drums are vibrating antiphase.

Do it as a experiment at home. It'll feel like the sound is wrapping around your head. I had a system come into to my bench the other day. It displayed no fault and i put it to one side on test. I noticed i was feeling weird, i was only running this at low volume. I looked at another tech and said "this sounds weird to me?" he agreed. The customer had wired his/her speakers antiphase. The fault was a Intermittent one so we just powered it up and let it test. dont have time to check if it sounds full of bass. lol

9. Would that work through a wall? And wouldn't doing that damage your speakers?

I'm gonna try it at some point though....
  10. It wont damage your speakers what so ever. Sound is a AC signal. So the speaker moves outward on a positive cycle, then back on a negative cycle. This is how we get sound, it pushes air back and forth in proportion to the signal applied to it.

Now if you reverse the signal it will still push air on a negative cyle and a positive cycle as before. But this time it'll push air forward when the other speaker is being pulled backwards. You'll hear sound, it'll sound okay except itll feel like its wrapping around your head. And the bass response is lower as it is cancelling them in your ears.

Try it. you cant damage anything. Grab a pair of speakers. Wire them up normally. then get one and switch the leads around while you are playing music. You'll hear the difference.

Now at loud volumes..... :eek:

Not sure about going through a wall tho.

11. What about my head?

I'll try it on my hifi in the morning.:)
  12. the head will be fine. Just dont short the speaker leads together...... :eek:

Its common thing to do, wire in the speakers antiphase. Often when installing systems power it up and stand in the middle. Put a song with a even balance on. If it sounds weird, then you got them antiphase. ;)

13. Best advice ever.:bassist:
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    No bass player worth his thumb should have to complain about booming systems. Unless your amp is really (really) bad, chances are you can be a lot louder and bassier than any music coming out of a stereo system.
  15. Did you ever think that maybe she is playing the loud music so that you can't listen to her having sex? Just a thought.

16. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    man, I just put my speakers in anti-phase, and it sounds trippy with buckethead on. It really does sound like it's wrapping aroun your head.
  17. Hee hee hee, play that funky music, white boy.:D

::Looks at everyone staring at him::

Well, SOMEONE had to say it. I mean, c'mon!! It was just sitting there, WAITING to be punned!!

Rock on
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Now I'm at college right, so thumping is common. My neighbors near my apartment across the hall from me, they were partying. They had their door open, so it was like this **** was in my living room. So I had my amp (and Boss ODB-3) and I started laying out a thrash bass solo really, REALLY loud and screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs. Near the end, I was just swearing and smacking my bass like bongo drums. Apparently my roomate shannon saw them peeking in the crack with a confused look on their faces. I was in thrash mode, I was gone. But they closed their door and turned the music down. :D
  19. hehe SEE!!! now try it at high volume for about 15 minutes..... :p