7th Chord Arpeggio Thingies

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by just_a_poser, Aug 25, 2002.

1. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Yeah, a couple weeks ago one of my bass teachers showed me triads, major, minor, diminished, and augmented. And then the last time I saw him he threw in a seventh for seventh chords, and showed me like, major 7ths, minor sevenths, dominant sevenths (or major minor 7ths I think), half diminished sevenths, and fully diminished. And uhm, we were running late, and he didn't have time to write them down. And I went to practice and realized I don't remember the patterns for these, so could someone tell me them? You can just post like, root, minor third, fifth and minor seventh, or however you want to do it. Thanks for the help guys.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For major, minor, and dominant arpeggios, simply play 1-3-5-7 from the appropriate scale in as many octaves as you can comfortably play. Then go through the inversions of the chords.

ex. 1-3-5-7; 3-5-7-1; 5-7-1-3; etc...

For diminished 7th chords, all you have to do is to stack minor thirds endlessly on top of each other. i.e. - C-Eb-F#-A-C-Eb-F#-A etc..... there are only three different diminished 7th chords because of their symmetrical nature.

But I have to warn you: if you do enough of this kind of thing, you might need to change your username at some point.
  3. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    major 7th - R 3 5 7

minor 7th - R b3 5 b7

Dominant 7th - R 3 5 b7

minor 7th b5 - R b3 b5 b7

These are the arpeggios my instructor gave me to get me started.

a cool way to practice them is to use all 24 permutations of each arp., for example, there are 6 different ways to play R 3 5 7, by starting with R. (ex. r357, r375, r537, r573,r735,r753)

If you play guitar, and have access to a recording device of some kind, try playing a major 7th chord, starting with cmaj7, using the cycle of fourths. once you have recorded c through g, then you can practice your arpeggios over the sound of the guitar chord ringing out.

Sorry if this is information you already knew.
  4. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    I've been doing similar things with my teacher regarding chords and have just started to understand the very basics.

I really hope that this isn't a dumb question, but what is the impact of changing key, for instance how do you play a Cmin7 in the key of F ? I believe that it changes but don't understand enough to know why and how.

5. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks Ed.

It may take me some time for me to fully understand this, but it's made it much clearer.

The chords/ keys thing was really just an off the cuff response at the end of my lesson so we didn't really go into too much detail, but I now understand where it's coming from and can work towards it.

Thanks again.
  6. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Thanks to all of you. I appreciate it. Yeah Ed, all exercises are out of root position right now.