1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

7th fret on A+D strings dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Skit1, May 9, 2006.

1. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    The 7th fret on both the A and D strings on my bass are not ringing out and a producing a sort of dead note...

I've tried adjusting the action/truss rod but to no avail.
    All the other frets on all the strings ring out fine.

Any idea what could be/how to fix the problem?

2. A few questions:

What kind of bass is it (Fender, Ibanez, etc.)? For example, I've heard that Fenders are notorious for dead spots.

Are the strings very new or very old?

If you detune 1/2 step, does the deadness follow the note (i.e. 8th fret is dead) or does it stay on the 7th fret?

Has the bass always had this problem, or has it sprung up recently? If recently, has something about the bass changed (setup, etc.)?

Are your frets well seated?

3. This has actually happened to me before.

4. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    I would have to nominate the Ric 4001 bass as the most notorious bass for dead spots...
    Getting back to your problem...
    Take a real good look at the 7th fret...look at the shape of the fret...Is it well crowned??? WHat is the condition of the fret..???
    I have seen basses with dead spots, where in a few cases the fret was in poor condition and caused dead notes...
    I would suggest checking that out, then post back answers to the questions from the other posters to this thread...

Chris