8-10 acoustic coupling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Will 2 Eden D-410XLTs perform the same as the Eden D-810 XLT?

Or better yet, if you put a D-410 XST, upside down on top of a D-410XLT that is on it's side, all the drivers will be very close to each other, closer than the 8-10 or 2- 410s stacked normally.

I'm looking to try to emulate what an Ampeg 8-10 does with my 71 SVT head, but with Eden cabs.

I'm tryin to get more punch with the 300 watt tube head.
    Currently I use a 4-10XLT and 2-10XLT and some rooms are punchier than others.

Also, does the the fact that Eden uses ports, and high power drivers, make the damping factor slower than a sealed 8-10 with lighter drivers.

I really don't want to, and can't lug an 8-10 around.
    I hope I'm being clear.
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I am using an SWR Megaliath 8x10 cab. It sounds great and is not too hard to transport. It has built-in wheels, skid rails on the back, and grab handles on the top and bottom.
  3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Apparently sealed cabinets always have better damping factor than ported ones. Thats probably one of the main reasons that Ampeg created the sealed 810.
  4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I've been wondering, what are the advantages of a ported 8x10 over two ported 4x10's? The Megoliath, despite it's bi-amp feature, doesn't seem to offer anything that two Goliaths don't. Yet, it is harder to carry and is only slightly cheaper than a pair of goliaths (on the used market, it seems to actually be more expensive.) Do 8x10's have inherently better low frequency response that you can't get by "coupling" two 4x10's, or what?
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I compared the 8x10 to a pair of 4x10 Goliaths. Obviously I prefered the former. I can't say why it would sound different. It could have to do with the common side walls or something. The real answer, I think, is that SWR intentionally voiced the Megaliath differently than the Goliaths to appeal to a different audience.
  6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Isn't the Megoliath a bigger cab than two Goliath III,s? I know for a fact that they're not the same design.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    All else being equal (per-speaker volume, cab tuning frequency) there's no real difference between an 8x10 and two stacked 4x10s. The bass frequencies are long enough that the difference in distance is pretty trivial.

But like Lo-Z pointed out, who knows if all else is equal? :) I think you'd have to try each example out on its own to be sure.

Also, "damping factor" is a power amp spec of sorts. But you're close, typically sealed cabs have a "tighter" sound that is more damped than ported boxes in the area around the port frequency. This is because, at the port frequency, most of the sound comes from the port. When you apply the signal to the woofer, there's extra delay involved (small, 10-20ms, but noticeable) as the box resonates and the port begins to create the sound.

Really bad (read: 1970s :), though they still exist today unfortunately ) ported designs are severely underdamped and "ring", that is they resonate so badly that they tend to honk in one narrow frequency band, producing copious amounts of blurred mush. Actually, this also describes Bose subwoofers. ;)
  8. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Rockbobby, if you play loud, you may not be happy with the eden cab/SVT setup. I have a '73 SVT rig and also two Eden 410XLT's I use with my Ashdown. The SVT head does not like the eden cabs - WAY too much cone movement at high volumes. FWIW, YMMV, etc...
  9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

R-man That's why I'm curious. The bass is hard to control loud in some rooms.
    I use a 5 string, SVT, D-410xlt, D2-10xlt.
    I would like to get the SVT TUBE tone, but with as tight bass as I could get.
    I'm sniffing around, but I am not able to try out all the stuff I need to make the right decision.

Can you get a pair of 410s that has tight bass with a tube head?

I'm starting another thread.