1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8-10's or not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bjabass, Jul 19, 2012.

1. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    I use one Hartke 410 driven by my Eden-Nemesis RS 400 head and I have never felt the need for more speakers. The little Hartke cab has always been able to cut through the 2 guitars and 2 keyboards when I needed it to and never had to get over 60% on the gain controls.

I have an outdoor gig this weekend and I recently picked up a 2nd Hartke 410 cab that I have never used. I rewired it with 2-1/4" jacks so I could run both cabs together. They are 8 ohm cabs and the amp is rated at 4 ohms so I shouldn't have any issues.

The question is do I really NEED to run 8-10's? Is there a possible improvement in tone?

I guess the real reason I am considering this is just to see how much thunder I could create.....

Edit, yes, we will be using FOH support....but if I use both cabs I don't think it will need much.....:p

2. The only rig I have now is an Ampeg 8x10.
    Is it overkill? Yes
    Is it needed? No
    Is it a pain in the ass to carry around? Most definitely
    Is it worth it in the end? Damn right it is

3. chicomalo

chicomalo

Jul 17, 2012
    Escondido, CA
    I like your style!

I have a Ampeg 4pro and I run 2 4x10 HLF cabs for large venues and outside gigs. Why? Because I want to.

4. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    DO IT

5. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    (.....I knew I could count on you Ampeg guys....):hyper:

6. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Need? No. But what better setting to find out what both Hartke cabs will really do with your amp? Think of it as an experiment to find the limits of your rig.

7. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I use my big rig (Aguilar DB751 w/a DB 412) as often as I can primarily because it sounds great but also because of the visual impact. A big rig looks professional in certain situations and can be seen from the back row of the venue. It's part of the performance if you will. If you remember what the volume knob is for you can use the Tower Of Doom anywhere you please. The footprint of either choice is the same regardless of whether you use one cab or two.

[​IMG]