1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8 & 12 string ?'s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Jan 21, 2012.

1. I've recently been on a Kings X kick (again,which is a good thing). Which brings me to a question that I've pondered many a time over the years.
    Are the strings on an 8 or 12 string bass supposed to be arranged differently for someone playing with a pick,as opposed to playing one with one's fingers? I hope I worded this to where you all understand my question.

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Not entirely sure it's based on pick r fingers, but usually the octave strings get struck first.

3. OK,you understood my question (whew). I was wondering if a person is primarily a finger player,do the octave strings go on the bottom? And,vice versa for a pick player?

4. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    you really dont see many finger players using a 12 string. no reason you cant, but to me it seems a little too subtle with fingers, a pick really brings out the octave strings. most 12's have the octave on top, regardless of style. its just sort of the norm.
    Strings
    you can set them up really however you want, but you would probably have a hard time finding a new one with any different setup, or you could cut a new nut and change the string setup.

5. Typically both 8 and 12 string basses have the octave strings on top. I believe Ric 8 strings had them on the bottom.

When I use a pick, the octave strings get struck first on down strokes, last on up strokes. Probably works that way for most people who can do both.

6. meshica7

meshica7

Mar 7, 2009
    Correct..most 8 and 12vers have the octaves on top..but there are arrangements with the reverse...octaves on the bottom..and they are preferred by finger players. I have a dean Rhapsody 12 with the typical octave on top though I am a fnger player who does a lot of raking and flamenco style playing. I have also seen some 12vers with an octave/fundamental/octave string config! http://www.12stringbass.net/
    Has a very cool page which explores the various string configurations and an extensive section on string gauges and tensions. an excellent source for all things 12ver.
    Here's my Dean Rhapsody..which is a long scale bass of which I prefer over the short scale (most 12 I found were short scale). It's an incredible bass with amazing sound and balance. It blew away the folks at Progressive Nation at sea this past Feb!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]