Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 and 12'ers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olps, Jul 11, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I've seen 8 and 12 string basses before, and I know that they're really just 4'ers that have each string doubled, or tripled. But how would these extra strings be tuned, would they just be an octave higher than the string they're next to? Would you be able to play one of these monsters fingerstyle, or would they be easier to play with a pick? Lastly, what bassists/players or bands use, or have used 8 or 12'ers? Thanks.

2. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    o have only had experience with one 12er. i know that it bassicly impossable to play with finger style the string spaceing is like less then 10mm. i know sam rivers from lb uses it on some recordings on there last cd

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I've seen 8-string basses that aren't double-stringed. Mostly Conklins....

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You can play both fingerstyle, but it takes some patience to get use to it on the 12. It is alot easier with a pick however.

Playing them in general is a pain in the butt.

Its not fun to fret on these since you have to fret 2 strings at once, plus the smaller strings are much smaller, so you have to lay your fingers flatter or find some other method to fret them properly. Normal fretting doesnt cut it since your finger will rest on the higher string and do nothing to the lower ones.

Thats my 2 cents.

Peace
    Nick

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I play my 15 string just as I would my 4,5 or 6 etc.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't have one, but every time I've played an 8 string I've never had a problem playing fingerstyle.

And as for bands that have used them, Cheap Trick (Robin Zander, is it?) uses a 12, and didn't Noel Redding use a Hagstrom 8 string some with Hendrix?

7. AdequateBob

AdequateBob Guest

Jul 5, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are generally tuned with the bass string being the root, and the two other strings being octaves. People I know who use 12-stringers usually detune the octaves a little bit so that it sounds like you're playing a 12-stringer, not an 8.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, like this...

[​IMG]

or this..

[​IMG]

:D

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Whis I had a 8 :(

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Wish I had a 8 :( and I wish I could spell;)

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what happened to your blue 8, dude?

12. :confused: I didn't get tgant one..

Hey Jauqo, what did you do to the blue one JT mentioned?
    I saw it on the Morley ad. (y)

13. :confused: I didn't get tgant one..

Hey Jauqo, what did you do to the blue one JT mentioned?
    I saw it on the Morley ad. [​IMG]

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think what he's saying is that they will detune one of the octave strings a couple of cents so it creates a more pronounced chorusing effect.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Wow I was just kidding,I still have it:p you guys are kool. just think if it was stolen,and held against its will, from your replys Im sure a pic of it would end up on the side of a milk carton :)and after its rescue it could write a book about the whole ordeal and what am I thinking its just a child ;)

16. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Sounds right. Though it's really not quite the same. The more pronounced chorus effect of the 12 comes from the effect of the two strings that "should" be tuned to the exact same pitch - but aren't. It's not quite as effective when the pitches are separated by an octave.

Me and my 12 in the studio:
    [​IMG]

What it sounds like (MP3 clip from upcoming album.)

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I don't advocate the practice, either. Simply having three strings to press down will create more than enough variance in the pitch to creat a nice effect.

Or, you could just go the fretless route on an 8 string like I did. I'm sure I'll sound nice and chorused, too--whether I like it, or not....

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey bassmonkeee my 15 is a fretless tuned standard E to high C,it can have a very strong chorused sound and still have the bass guitar tone,the sound is close to that of a Sitar and sometimes it sounds as if Im doubling with a banjo.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, unless it was forced into child labor in india, making matches. or else, force to dance for japanese businessmen in a singapore brothel :eek:.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    :)