8 bar blues progression

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by altman, Oct 2, 2002.

1. altman

Oct 7, 2001
    I was jamming with some people last night, and they were talking about an 8 bar blues progression

What is that please?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well there are lots of different Blues progressions - although the most common is obviously the 12 bar one. I have played an 11 bar blues which was written by the Scottish Sax player Tommy Smith!

Many Jazz composers have written variations on 12 bar blues which have involved more or less bars - quiet a few have 16 bars.

I've never come across an 8-bar blues, but my guess would be to leave off the last 4 bars of a normal 12 bar - which would give you a very simple repetitive chord sequence.
  3. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    This is the most basic progression for an 8 bar blues form:

an example of this would be "Key To The Highway".

A variation:

Has anybody come up with a good way to write music here. It's rough on a PC keyboard. I hope it's clear as to what I meant.
  4. altman

Oct 7, 2001
    thanks, that is exactly what I needed

I use the I I IV etc for progressions

5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Another possibility-
    Take a 16-bar Blues:

Change it to 8 bars:

See how that was done?

Hey Bruce-
    There's a 13-bar Blues on Heavy Sounds(Jimmy Garrison/Elvin Jones)...basically, an extra bar is tagged onto a 12-bar Blues.
  6. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Taking the last 8 bars of the 16 bar progression is not the normal way. Just playing a 16 bar progression within 8 bars is still a 16 bar progression. What The Lowest posted is correct. A slight variation is to replace the final I chord with a V, i.e., I...I...IV...IV...I...V...I...V...
    There are many 8 bar blues songs out there.