1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8 bit Nintendo sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hopsbb, Apr 25, 2015.

1. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    Looking for a pedal that will give me that 8 bit classic Nintendo game sound.Preferably a clone of something.Its just for me to play around with so I don't wanna drop alot of $$ into it.

2. Any bit crusher should do the trick.

blindrabbit likes this.
  3. The Bit Commander is not bad. It won't do low notes very well though.

4. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    If you want something really cheap that works great. MXR Blue Box. Like $60 brand new. I think there are a bunch of cheap Devi Ever effects that get ya there too. Otherwise a nicer bit crusher like a WMD Geiger Counter will be a lot more versatile and you can get many other uses out of it other than just sounding like a video game.

5. I would also check out the Mooer LoFi Machine. Never played through one but seems like it could be close to what you're looking for.

MojoPenguin and jez79 like this.
  6. jez79

jez79

May 2, 2004
    Canada
    There are two aspects to low-bit video game sounds:
    1) waveform
    The sound hardware can't create very nice sine waves with harmonic overtones, instrument-like. NES for example usually outputs square waves for guitar/synth sounds, and 'rounder' triangle waves for bassy sounds.
    Octave and synth pedals are a good start for this, fuzz pedals as well (they 'square' your waveform)

2) sound sampling
    Limited audio hardware also introduces 'imperfections' with sample rate and bit depth.
    Sample rate is your friend here
    Bitdepth can introduce some grittyness, but i don't find it that pleasing
    Sample rate reduction can get you the 'chirpy' overtone inherent in bitsounds, just be careful not to lower it into the fundamental range of what you're playing unless you want a ringmod effect
    Mooer lofi is very good for this

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    groovebass5 likes this.
  7. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    I have a subdecay noise box that I use for this reason.

8. mxr blue box

9. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Here's what I use with awesome results:

Less $$$ option: Behringher BSY-600 Bass Synth (since you can stop the filter sweep by setting the decay to max you can get a life square wave with resonance and frequency controls. I usually set them both around 12:00 or use an expression pedal for either honing in on a specific sound or for synth-Wah sweeps. Mode 4 is your square wave and 5 is a square with a -1 octaver FYI)

More $$$ option:Iron Ether Subterranea (you have a unisynth voice with square and an octasynth voice with a square completely blend able)

Octave/various square wave fuzz combos (I use A LOT of fuzz!)

Run a detune/mild chorus post to fatten it up as needed

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  10. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Dr. Scientist BitQuest is exactly what you want. Not sure what you consider alot of money though, its over 200 new and a little less than 200 used.

static0verdrive likes this.
  11. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    Luck Duck 8bit sounds great!

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I could ape Mac's coach talking from Punch-Out quite well with a BOSS SYB-5 and ODB-3. There are probably better options though...

13. BassoItaliano

BassoItaliano

Oct 20, 2013
    Washington
    I found that the mastotron fuzz works pretty well for that, especially with low batteries. Not too pricey either.

14. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    My synth modded OC-2 (full oct-1 and oct-2 and no clean signal) + Bass Boost Chorus to detune works great for 8-bit noises - just play staccato past the 12th fret!

15. You could look up Red Panda's Bitmap BitCrusher.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
  17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    blindrabbit and RiZzBot like this.
  18. mistermark311

mistermark311

Sep 29, 2007
    +1 on the WMD Geiger Counter... Insane amount of options!

sillyfabe likes this.
  19. Iron Ether's FrantaBit is a bit pricey but REALLY cool.

alecduncan, sillyfabe and blindrabbit like this.