8 eggs a day!? is that ok? gym guys help me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Apr 21, 2010.

1. so i just joined the gym and am trying to gain some weight. am a little guy though, just 5'6" right now i weight around 58kg but i want to get some more mass and more muscle. so the gym instructor recommends that i have 8 eggs a day 4 without the yellow (along with other things like milk and fruits). now am wondering if it is way too much and would it play havoc with my body systems, etc or its really ok??

2. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    It sounds ok to me since you are eating 4 without the yolks, but I am no doctor. I don't think there is anything wrong with eating egg whites. You could eat a whole dozen egg whites and it wouldn't cause any problems beyond maybe digestive difficulties or bad gas.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    that's fine. try and eat that amount 2x a day.

5. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    If it's weight gain you're after, there's nothing like donuts, pancakes, and lots of sleep.

6. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    TB is also good for weight gain

7. really!? its really hot here +40C wont that give me oily pimples on my face and crap!?:p

8. am trying to avoid the "bad" fats which are high in cholesterol and all. anyway doughnuts and pancakes are'nt regular stuff here and most places have them expensive and stale and yuck heh though i get what you mean

true! but am spending a lot of my time playing and learning now

9. Egg whites are excellent for you. They contain omega-3 fatty acids and all sorts of other wonderful things for your body. The yolk is where most of the cholesterol lives. I think they offered you a good plan and you shouldn't have any ill effects from it other than eventually getting tired of eatting so many eggs. Try and mix it up; scrambled, poached, hard boiled, omelette, etc.

I also recommend drinking at least 8 cups of water a day (2 quarts, roughly two liters, though more is always better). This will help your body to flush waste and fat. 7 fruits/vegetables a day is also a good idea.

10. thanks! its so hot here that drinking a lot of water will become a habit but to keep the system clean with all this food intake i will need to drink even more, i dunno how thats going to happen lol

11. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    the protein is only half of the equation. you also need to increase your complex carbohydrates.

12. here we have a lot of wheat or rice does that serve the need?

13. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  14. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    try to get whole grain carbs, yuka is much better then potatos as it is more fibrous, slow release carbs is what you are looking for , lean mass not fat

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I understand what the trainer is getting at, but it's a simplistic nutritional plan. Many trainers have very limited and reductionistic views of nutrition. I would actually see a nutritionist if you're interested in varying your diet with the goal of muscle gain and strength-training.

Variety of diet is an important factor that is lost by reductionist diets that stress "eat x every day." Eggs have a high net protein utilization, and I understand what this trainer is saying, but again, I find it to be overly simplistic. I would like to see a wider, more diverse diet.

16. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    "X eggs" is one answer to a need. Ask your trainer what the need is. If it's "X g of carbohydrates, X g of proteins, etc.", you'll be able to figure a better, varied diet.

17. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Muscle gain = training + proteins. Eggs have a lot of protein. Same with meat. Couple that up with some vegetables, fruit, milk and rice and you're going to see lots of improvement if you are new to training. Just remember that if you want to increase muscle mass (and thus increase weight), you need to eat more calories than you consume during the day. You can't build muscles if you don't eat enough, because if you don't eat more than you consume there is nothing left for building the muscles.

18. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Marietta, Ga
    Pancakes are inexpensive and easy to make. They are also super-delicious. Make sure to add plenty of butter and syrup to the finished product.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    Eggs aren`t everything. I`d suggest well cut, all white meat chicken breast as well.

+1 to complex carbs as well.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    As well as nuts, seeds, pulses, beans, lentils, and tofu.

21. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Eggs are a great source of protein, so is dhal. I think Indian food is perfect for complex carbs + protein. Eat plenty of legumes.

(I wasn't always a fat old man, there were a few years where I was actually a diesel **********er!)