1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8 Eight String Bass Megathread: Brice vs. Antoniotsai vs. other cheapies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Nov 28, 2006.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I'll make a 12 string thread tomorrow...

OK the cheapest 8 strings are:

Group A under $300
    Brice
    Antoniotsai
    ESP
    Rogue

and slightly more expensive are the:

Group B $300-$600
    Galveston
    Dean Rhapsody
    Schecter

Group C $600-$1000
    Warmoth
    Hamer
    Kramer

Group D $1000-$1800
    Hagstrom
    Rickenbacker

Group E an $arm and a $leg and maybe a $kidney
    Most boutiques & custom builders
    Veillette
    Zon
    Pedulla
    Modulus
    Warwick
    Status

Group Z your FIRSTBORN-$ON (cha-ching cha-ching $$$!!!)
    Alembic
    Tune

Group X - the unknown group... which above group do they belong to? I don't know the model or pricing info.
    Fernandes
    Hondo
    Espana
    Washburn
    Kramer
    Ibanez
    BC Rich
    Doesn't dean have another 8 string model besides the rhapsody?

OK so please add basses that you know of to this list and help me place Group X. Also suggest changes to what I have.

What are the pro's and cons of each? Post pics if you have em.

For cheap basses it is a given that you always have to change the strings and you almost always have to change the electronics. Something to keep in mind is sometimes they cut corners on the hardware on cheap basses. However with an 8 string you absolutely must have good hardware because to upgrade would cost an arm and a leg... well it could easily double the price of a cheap bass between bridge and tuner replacements. I have no problem replacing every single thing in the control cavity and the pickups though.

Thanks, Joe

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    The Dean Rhapsody 8-string that I tried a few years ago seemed like a decent bass. The neck was a bit narrower than the Rhapsody 12, which made it somewhat easier to manage. The onboard 3-band EQ is surprisingly nice, although I'm not a fan of the stock EMG HZ pickups. Dean also make the Edge 8.

Although I've tried several octave-strung instruments over the years, 8 and 12-string basses are generally hard to find in captivity, so it's hard to compare them. At the moment the Waterstone TP-2 12-string has piqued my interest. One of these days I'll have to play one....

3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I knew it was an edge i just couldn't find one. thanks...

Also the waterstone is probably the best nice 12 you can get. Great value at a decent price. This all just from what I've heard though. It would be my first choice for an 8/12 if I had the money. The great thing is that you can make it an 8 or a 4 string if you want, just needs to be reset up for correct neck-bow because of the reduction in tension.

4. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I am leaning towards a brice but I almost bid on a schecter stilletto last week. It went at a pretty good price... about $400

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I own the Brice which is $75 more than the Rogue which is the exact same bass. It plays: well the neck and fret work rival the work of basses costing hundreds more. Th e active electronics are a little too hot out of the box, but can be tweeked. IF you change PUs you defeat why you paid $300. The hardware is fine. It isn't the best bridge design, but it works. MF has the Rogue in trans black on sale for $199.

GM

6. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Of the list you provided, the Brice is probably the best of the bunch in the low end price category. As GM60466 said, the pups are pretty hot. While the body is very similar to the Rogue, all of the hardware on the Brice is better and IMO the QC is better on the Brice than the Rogue.

In the next grouping, the Dean is a good bass. I don't know much about the Schector at all, but Galveston is a questionable brand in general as regards build quality.

Since I'm not a double string player, I don't have much experience with the rest of the axes you named. Brice is usually a decent bet if you're just looking to try experimenting with an 8 .... if you're a bit more serious about it, the Dean is a nice bass ..... :cool:

7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    GM I only see $250 rogues at MF

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Damn this GAS-giving thread. I never needed an 8-stringer before, but I think I want one.

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Also was leaning towards the brice because I have a Lane Poor MM4 Humbucker Split coil and I am already looking for a jazz bass set, and they come up every so often.

10. Lorne

Lorne

Nov 21, 2005
    Devon U.K.
    Here's mine

1985USABichSupreme8string.

howigotit.

Of course,I've taken the bridge off and added a Badass 1 now as the sound of an 8 string is only novel for about 2 days

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you looking for a certain scale length? 34" is standard nowadays, but older models tend to be 30" or 32", especially old Hamers. Hamer 8's were special order from the Custom Shop AFAIK, good luck finding a Hamer 8 for a good price.

Needless to say, I'm looking to downgrade from my 12 to an 8 sometime soon and Warmoth it'll likely be.

12. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    well can't you just take off the extra string? and of course adjust the neck because of less tension...

I don't mind different scale lengths

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Joe, I can, but I'd have to adjust a lot of things... redo the nut, reorder the saddles on the bridge because I prefer fundamentals on top. And I'd still not be happy with the electronics... so you see my predicament. Warmoth does a darn nice 8 string neck.

14. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Noooooooooo.... don't leave the 12-string continuum. It's bad for your karma.

:)

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll be back one day, lookin' at a Rothstein Andromeda for my comeback though. ;)

16. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I think i am going to cut a bunch of standard saddles and sell them as sets. I betcha I could make a killing. I should do nuts as well but I'd have to work on that one and screw up a few times.

You wouldn't have to redo the nut. the saddles can be cut. the electronics well nnothing you can do there.

look into the schecter maybe. And also there is warmoth 8 neck on the bay at the moment. I was gonna bid but I am strapped, and it's going to go for more than I would want it for.

I missed a damn nice warmoth 8 2 months ago... it had TWO drop D tuners :eek: and only went for $300 :eek: :eek: I missed bidding by 15 minutes because of traffic :bawl:

17. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I've always been fascinated with 8 string basses since way back in '68 when I rented one from SIR in Hollywood to use on a session. That particular bass was a powder blue Hagstrom with a plastic top cover and an action that was set too low but the sound we got with it was actually quite usable. The second one I tried was around '73 and it was a custom Alembic that was being shown at the NAMM at the time. I'm not an Alembic fan but this particular example just played very well, comfortable and had a very balanced tone. Of course IMO was way overpriced. In the early '80's I tried a Rickenbacker 8 at the NAMM again and was really disappointed, it just felt really uncomfortable, action and spacing wise, I also felt that the nut was cut too high.

As far as the current crop of 8's go, I think that the Dean is a pretty good buy and for me would just need a little tweaking and a good setup. Ideally If I were going to have one built I would probably go with a "P" shaped body with an 8 string bridge and have the neck made to my specs so that the string spacing and radius would be right for my hands and style. It will be interesting to see what some of the companies and builders
    come up with this year at the NAMM now that there seems to be more interest in 8's.

George

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Anybody heard of Hense from Germany?

19. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Seems to be a variation from the same Korean factory that makes the Dean and Galveston models. There is more info on the 12-string bass websites.

www.12stringbass.net
    www.12stringbass.com

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Yeah, that's what I've read, but I've not been able to find any other information other than on their website. I'd love to be able to play a 12ver. Heck, in my neck of the woods until recently, it was hard to get anyone to carry anything other than Fender, Gibson, Ibanez and Peavey.