1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8 ohm vs. 4 ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuckyCondlins, Mar 3, 2008.

1. is there REALLY a difference?

I mean, the only difference is well the obvious amount of power i suppose.

ie 200 watts at 8 ohms but 350 at 4ohms

I have a 4 OHM ampeg 1x15 but id like to add another cab. Going to an amp that offers 2 ohms might be reasonable...BUT if i don't want to go to an amp that goes to 2 ohms, would I hear a big difference in sound and tone if I used 2 8 ohm cabs to get the full power at 4 ohms?

thanks!

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    it wont be twice as loud, but it will be noticeably louder, 50-75% more give or take. But it is the speaker area more than the wattage that will make it louder.

3. thanks...not sure if i may have posted this correctly but here it is.

If i want to run 2 cabs. is it better to have 2 4 ohm cabs ( with a 2 ohm minimum amp) or 2 8 ohm cabs (with a 4 ohm minimum head)

for sake of argument, im using 1x15 and 2x10

4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    All other things being equal, a well-designed amp should have no difference in sound between 2 and 4 ohm loads, assuming it is capable of 2ohm operation. Other than the power, of course.

5. If your amp is rated for 4Ω minimum and you try to run a 2.7Ω load, your amp will fail eventually. Never never run any SS amp into less than its minimum load.

Paul

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I think if a head is capable of 2 ohms it should be run there. Some people think it sounds different, I can't hear a difference. Most heads run better at 2 ohms if they are designed to do. My WT550 ran better at 2. When running 2 ohms I never hit a clip light and the fan never came on. So if I wasn't hitting the clip light and the fan wasn't running it had to be running easier. Also, the more power you have the less you have to push the head. Speaker mass is more responsible for volume than and extra 100 watts. So if you think about a pair of 4 ohm cabinets, this could be the deal but you are better off with 4 ohm multiple speaker enclosures. i.e. 212's or 410's I like 4 8 ohm 112's myself because of versitility.
    My GBE1200 is such a beast it doesn't seam to matter how I run it.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Only if your amp is anemic to begin with. Very few cabs will take more than even half their rated power before farting out or going into power compression (where additional input does not result in additional output) or both, so jumping through hoops to squeeze every last milliwatt from your amp is usually a wasted effort.

8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    +1....

9. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    so if i was running a 4 ohm 410and an 8 ohm 115 would i get double the power to the 410 im just worried about not having enough handling power on my 115

10. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    your 115 would receive half the power the 410 does.

so if your 410 was receiving 5 watts the 115 would get 2.5 watts.