Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 ohms, 4 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, May 14, 2005.

1. Is there a big difference volumewise if the cab you use is 8 ohms or 4ohms?

2. How weird. I was about to post the same question. I just picked up an Aguilar DB 359 for $920 and I was wondering whether it would make a difference if I used an 8 ohm or a 4 ohm cabinet. There's a place that has a floor model 4 ohm for $799 or I can get a new one at 8 ohms for $850. Which would be best? I gues we'll sit back and see what others say. :)

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The difference in wattage will give some extra headroom in most cases, but not more more volume.

With two eight ohm cabinets, you have the option of adding on, which will both bring out the watts and add cone area, which will equate into more volume as well as more headroom.

If you plan to add on, go eight ohm. If you know it's the only cab you're going to be using, go four.

Generally, of course.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It depends on your amp. Many amps provide maximum power at 4 ohms or even 2ohms. In the case of the 359 It won't matter because full power is delivered at 4 or 8 ohms. Also consider the sensitivity of the speaker. Two speakers with the same power handling and ohmage can sound drastically different if one has a sensitivity of 103db vs. 97db. The difference is volume could be dramatic