1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8" replacement speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skoti89, Apr 16, 2006.

1. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    I have a Peavey Microbass. I love it, great tone, but the speaker for sure is blown. It full on distorts at half volume(not just a little bit. Figure a gain knob on a distortion pedal turned all the way up). It is aslo probably the original speaker, and about ten+ yrs old.

I'm just wondering what a good brand is( I know emenence is good, then thats just about it). How much would it be....can I do it myself.... my dad can soulder. It's an 8" speaker.

2. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Oh yeah. Adding to this: I want to handle at least 50+ watts? My amp puts out 20 watts and 50 watts(I'm sure the 20 watts is true). So I want to be able to have the volume turned to atleast past 3 o'clock without distorting or without it having a sloppy tone.

thanks!

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Eminence Alpha 8 handles 125 watts and has frequency responce between 65hz and 5khz. should be a good match.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you are talking about turning the volume 3/4 of the way and not distorting it will probably not work Most small amps run out of gas around 1 oclock and the only thing past there is distortion and that may be preceived as louder but it is really just noise not clean sound. If you need to turn up the vol that far you need a bigger/more powerful amp. IIRC YMMV

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Low Down Sound have lots of nice 8's...

7. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    What about a original Peavey speaker?
    It`s no use to put a 125 w speaker in there, cause it will be blown just as easy. Perhaps it will be little difference in price on a replacement speaker and a brand new amp..
    My Microbass also distort at twelve-one o`clock. It does not go any louder