1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8 Shows in 2 Weeks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fastplant, Jun 1, 2004.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think this is the most frequently I've ever played, and I'm already exhausted and I"m only 3 shows into it.

I agreed to help out two of my friends bands and along with my own shows I think I've bitten off a little more than I can chew doing the 9-5 in between. Anyone else go through something like this??

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, that's a lot of shows :eek: What style of music? Are they generally long shows? hehe..

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

They're all all-nighters (3-4 hours) but luckily they're cover music (well one is half cover/original) so alot of it overlaps so I learned the songs quick. They're easy shows, just alot of them. I'll let you guys know if I drop dead..... oh wait.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the worst for me was 11 shows in 7 days time - high paying gigs, the money was great, but i was very tired after the 7 days.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Damn, yeah, I'll admit, I'm mostly doing it for the money, but also to help my buddies out. But jeez, even I couldn't do that many shows in so little time, unless I took vacation time off my day job, haha.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, yeah, that'll tire you out fast.. Especially if the cover songs are lame hehe.. Imagine doing that many gigs for a death metal or hardcore band :eek: Talk about a stiff neck :bassist:

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The number of shows isn't a problem, but with multiple bands, THAT can be a pain! Good luck! :bassist:

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    rockon. Haha, yeah, the covers are lame, but I don't mind them if the crowd is into it. And they were this last weekend.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thank goodness i didn't have to take vacation time!

10. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Haha, wow.

11. I've done stuff like that.
    Its tiring on your body, your mind, and your fingers. I would only tell you to get as much rest as possible, drink plenty of fluids (and not always alcohol). Try to keep the load in-and-out to a minimum, and finally keep your fingers in shape. if you play too much and end up w/ blisters or tired hands you'll be useless that next gig, so really baby those hands/ fingers. Lastly, the mind thing is very important, make sure you are not mentally exhausted nothing will screw w/ the groove more than that., Just try to find the songs invigorating (change up the basslines-cover tunes really have recognizable licks or lines, other than that everything else is fair game-keeps the mind fresh)
    frank

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've just completed 20 gigs in 5 weeks. I loved it. My wallet is bulging.

Only one gig this weekend, then is back into it with 4 thew week after that, then 3 a week till the end of June.

I've never been this busy before :)

13. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, the show this Friday was just cancelled. So that's one less show. One thing I've noticed is that even though I have rock hard callouses, I seem to have formed a blister under the callous and it goes under my nail too. It's pushing up on my nail now, hurts a bit, but once I'm playing for a while I don't notice it.