Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 Shows in 2 Weeks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fastplant, Jun 1, 2004.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think this is the most frequently I've ever played, and I'm already exhausted and I"m only 3 shows into it.

I agreed to help out two of my friends bands and along with my own shows I think I've bitten off a little more than I can chew doing the 9-5 in between. Anyone else go through something like this??

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, that's a lot of shows :eek: What style of music? Are they generally long shows? hehe..

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

They're all all-nighters (3-4 hours) but luckily they're cover music (well one is half cover/original) so alot of it overlaps so I learned the songs quick. They're easy shows, just alot of them. I'll let you guys know if I drop dead..... oh wait.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the worst for me was 11 shows in 7 days time - high paying gigs, the money was great, but i was very tired after the 7 days.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Damn, yeah, I'll admit, I'm mostly doing it for the money, but also to help my buddies out. But jeez, even I couldn't do that many shows in so little time, unless I took vacation time off my day job, haha.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, yeah, that'll tire you out fast.. Especially if the cover songs are lame hehe.. Imagine doing that many gigs for a death metal or hardcore band :eek: Talk about a stiff neck :bassist:

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The number of shows isn't a problem, but with multiple bands, THAT can be a pain! Good luck! :bassist:

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] Haha, yeah, the covers are lame, but I don't mind them if the crowd is into it. And they were this last weekend.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thank goodness i didn't have to take vacation time!

10. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Haha, wow.

11. I've done stuff like that.
    Its tiring on your body, your mind, and your fingers. I would only tell you to get as much rest as possible, drink plenty of fluids (and not always alcohol). Try to keep the load in-and-out to a minimum, and finally keep your fingers in shape. if you play too much and end up w/ blisters or tired hands you'll be useless that next gig, so really baby those hands/ fingers. Lastly, the mind thing is very important, make sure you are not mentally exhausted nothing will screw w/ the groove more than that., Just try to find the songs invigorating (change up the basslines-cover tunes really have recognizable licks or lines, other than that everything else is fair game-keeps the mind fresh)
    frank

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've just completed 20 gigs in 5 weeks. I loved it. My wallet is bulging.

Only one gig this weekend, then is back into it with 4 thew week after that, then 3 a week till the end of June.

I've never been this busy before :)

13. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, the show this Friday was just cancelled. So that's one less show. One thing I've noticed is that even though I have rock hard callouses, I seem to have formed a blister under the callous and it goes under my nail too. It's pushing up on my nail now, hurts a bit, but once I'm playing for a while I don't notice it.