8" Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjigga, Oct 10, 2003.

1. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Does anyone here use 8" speakers as part of their setup? I know they're not very common. How do they sound and what playing situation do you use them in?

2. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have a homemade 2X8 that actaully sounds very impressive. I didn't make it, but it's much better than I everthought it could be with 2 aluminum 8" speakers.
  3. Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    for larger venues i use an swr 8x8 cab .......

I love the sound of 8s(if there is enough of them) .......The mids are punchy and crisp, and the lows 'usually' arent too boomy....

Ive found that it struggles in some rooms acoustically though .....At times it can turn into a muddied mess! You need to know how to tweek your amp well to get the most out of these cabs! But i love the sound.......

Ive used the cab for everything from straight out bebop gigs(shouldnt have though...getting the thing up and down the stairs was a biatch), to 16th note funk gigs(this is where this cab excels IMO)....to drop D nu-metal situations!........the sound is extremely versatile, its just a matter of whether you could be farged to lug the thing around!
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in my experience the swr 8x8 can get very muddy at times
    this has nothing to do with the 8" speakers - it's just that the cab is tuned for serious low end response and somewhat that can backfire
    the swr 4x8 is not tuned as low as the 8x8 - the cab is a litle lacking in low end response but is very punchy and quick - very hard to bury in the mix
  5. i use a ported 1x 8" that i´ve built myself (eminence alpha8)because i needed something portable that didn´t costed a fortune.
    it sounds great and i´ve used it at rehearsals, studio and at home. i play in a rockband so it has mostly been used as a monitor for myself it´s not so loud but the tone is just so great. i prefer it much more than 10´s
    combining it with a 1x 15" is a killer for any kind of style.
  6. Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    yup, it sure can! I almost sold my cab when i 1st encountered just how muddy it could get........ But if you cut the bass almost right off and boost the mids, the problem is easily eleviated! There's plenty of punch in those bad boys once you learn to adjust to its many moods....
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got an Ampeg 4x8. I don't use it in my regular rig, but I do like it. It's punchy and gives decent lows.
  8. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Thanks for all of your input.

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've used a Henry 8x8 since they first came out back in '93. Still my favorite all time cab.

Got mud? Just cut a few db at 40Hz.
    Can fill a smaller rooms with too much bass.

The triple firing front tube ports being distributed on a vertical plane throws wind and lows towards the back wall like nothing else.

Bonus: You can actually hear the 8's on stage.

Great projection.

Really fills a big room all the way to the back wall.

Best cab SWR has ever made.
  10. I just got an Ampeg B2-48, I'll tell you how it sounds once I sort out the electronics on it.