8" Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 54P, Mar 22, 2003.

1. 54P

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm playing again after a 10 year break. I play a P Bass with a P/J setup. My amps are a Bassman 100, & Ampeg V4B, through old JBL 15's. A friend has an Ampeg cab with 4 8" speakers & a horn. I've never heard of this, but it's a great size. Would this be a good cab to use in a small band with the V4B? Can it handle the bass boost on the V4B?

Thanks for your advice!

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't think you would have a problem. I love the sound of 8" speakers. That would be a really great setup.:)
  3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You been looking at (one of) my rigs?

I have a new (SLM) V4BH I use with a NOS
    SVT-48HE (4 x8 w/horn).
    Basses- '69 P-Bass
    Tobias Renegade 4
    Sound? The BEST.
    GREAT combination & I've used many.
    It certainly can more than handle the ultra-low
    and highs from the head, and the "presence" switch
    adds details you have got to hear.

If you need to play loud, if that's your thing, this is not the ultimate choice, an SVT would be better,
    or a higher powered solid state head.
    I use the rig for small-mid size rooms, mostly
    R&B & funk, & for recording.
    I've never heard a better sound for bass IMO,
    with the possible exception of a B-15.
    So there!:cool:
  4. LessWooten

LessWooten Guest

Mar 22, 2003
    Perrysburg, OH
    adrien is right 8 in speakers do have great sound,
    but if ur playin with a band ur gonna need like 10 of those 8's 8 in speakers just dont have the volume
    If u must have the 8in's though i would highly suggest runnin ur amp through your bands PA (if u have one) good luck
  5. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Have you tried the Henry 8x8, they sound amazing. Eight 8" speakers really go alot farther than meets the eye. Go check it out. It's by SWR if you didn't know.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

while i agree that the 8x8 sounds awesome, i've found that it can't really handle the kind of power needed to get over a loud band. i much prefer the Goliath Senior.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    how do you think 2 henry's would sound? i think that would rock...
  8. Ampeg 4x8 cabs are awesome, and are all I play thru anymore....
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, the Henry 8 is great. I've never owned one but every time I hear one, I come one step closer.
  10. Okay, this might hard to believe, but I've often used an Ashdown Boxter 2x8 cabinet as a standalone with my ABM300 amp, and it gets plenty loud and still sounds good. I dunno--it seems physically impossible to me too, but somehow it works. I have a few other cabs but the 2x8 is so easy to carry that I bring it whenever I get the chance.
  11. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    so far the ultimate portable rig I've tested - and now own - is an Ashdown mini 4x8", mini 1x15", and ABM 300. Might upgrade to the ABM 500 someday, but it's just not necessary right now, I get so much sweet-a$$ tone out of this stack. The 4x8" is way killer on its own, too.... good enuff for any smaller gig.
    Hey FC - better hang onto that Boxter - got a feelin they're gonna be valuable later..