Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 string bass sets?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RS, Dec 9, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Who makes 8 string bass sets? What brand comes stock on the Dean Rhapsody 8?

Thanks

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I know of two 8 string sets:
    D'Addario EXL 170-8 nickelplated steel roundwounds. These cost about $30 a set discounted.
    GHS boomers 8LS-DYB nickelplated steel roundwounds. These cost about $26 a set discounted.
    The D'Addarios are a bit heavier gauge than the GHS set and both brands are for long scale basses.
    Most manufacturers sell single strings and you can assemble a "custom" set. This will probably cost more than the prepackaged sets I mentioned above. These sets are available at juststrings.com.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I'm not sure what came original on the Rhapsody 8. They have red silks. It might be the GHS strings. I am about to change the strings on my Rhapsody 8, but I got the D-addario set (definately not the same as the originals). I'll see how they change the sound when I put them on. I don't play my 8 string a lot so I haven't yet been inspired to put on the new strings. maybe sometime soon.

-KB