Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 string bass string changing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rolnaldo33, Dec 26, 2004.

1. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    im lookin into buying an 8 string bass off the internet, there is a good return policy so i figured why not, but i wanted to be sure about somthing, when changing the strings, are the extra strings just basically the e-g strings of a regular 6 string guitar?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no. The srings are tuned the same, but they are different guages and legnths than standard guitar strings, SIT offers custom made sets for 8 string basses. they aren't packaged as such, but any SIT dealer can order them for you

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Boy, that was a disappointment..

:(

4. :D

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. and you didn't even have to move it :meh:

6. The best place to look is on the 'strings' section at www.12stringbass.com.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/middle_bass.htm has a side menu and if you can follow it to get 'strings', then follow it to 'SIT Strings', you will find a set to suit an 8-string bass on there.

I bought a Dean 8 string today, to go with my Hamer 12 and it's a beaut. The sound is something else too. :bassist: