1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingrayz, May 2, 2006.

1. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Hello guys,

I was thinking of getting an eight string bass..

How are they different tone wise, i mean other than a 4 string, Are the strings tuned EADG ? or how are they tuned ? and how are they playable ? technique wise... i know that J.E used an 8 string bass, do you know what songs show the tone of the eight stringer ? Please help me :hyper:

Thank you

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Jeremy by Pearl Jam does I believe

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I can't believe a search turned up nothing on this subject.

And Jeremy is a 12-string bass.

4. d-basser

d-basser

Nov 20, 2005
    i thot it was a 10 string???

5. Listen to GONNA RAISE HELL by Cheap Trick, Tom Petersson used an Alembic 8 string on that song.

It is a very cool, FULL sound that is great for a trio, and sometimes to piss off guitar players who think you are stepping on their sonic territory. GET one!!

I play 12 string bass and love it, but it is a different animail, yet still a bass. You need to see if an 8 string fits your style, it is NOT, in my opinion, for popping and slapping. But you can try it and see!

6. d-basser

d-basser

Nov 20, 2005
    nope checked jeremy is a 12, sorry bassman

7. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Michael Manring has a 10 string (5 x 2) for some songs. Of course, being the maniac he is, he tunes it to all kinds of different intervals. Octaves would be too easy. He does a lot of tapping on it. Sounds awesome.

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Not to be rude, as we have all done this before, but what is the main attraction to an eight string, if you dont know what the difference is tone wise or how to tune it? They are very hard to play, and the tone from one would differ from one another as would any other bass: pickups, woods, pre-amps, etc all affect the sound. But since they can be very hard to play, I would suggest something like the Electro Harmonix P.O.G. or Digitech Whammy pedal to give you that upper octave harmony. Ofcourse, the line 6 variax bass has 8 and 12 string bass emulations built right in to it!

9. i really had fun the time i tried out an 8-stringer at a local store (a Dean i do believe...). sounds really cool. very full, kinda alien, really cool.

the thing i didn't like is that i had troubles playing with my fingers. i could hit the deeper note easily enough, but my fingers seemed to just pass over the octave string. i got myself a pick and then was very happy with the sound.

if you're interested, you absolutely HAVE TO try before you buy. but u probably know this is applicable to almost all gear...

good luck!

10. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    john entwistle played the eight string quite a bit on his album "To late the hero" (there's a beautiful coffee table book on his collection....wow). the 8 string modulus is pretty crazy as well.

Mark Egan plays a fretless 8 string (pedulla if im right)...beautiful sound.

My fretless 8 Turner Ren (strung with thomastik nylon core strings) lends itself to melodic pieces.

In general I find they work best when you write songs around them (or play in a cheap trick tribute band).

11. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Yes, but the tracking??????

If you really want some freaky 8 string, I can send you some of John Paul Jones' recent stuff. If you thought his Zeppelin stuff rocked...wow!

12. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY

Listen to Tidal.

I played one once. Cool sound. I think it'd be interesting to tune it in other intervals than the octave, though. An octave and a fifth would be interesting, as long as you didn't have to play a song in an augmented or diminished scale.

13. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Hi,

Thanks for the answering my post..

just to be clear, if you would play your normal 4 string bass lines... do you need to strike both strings ?

and is it any good for tapping ?

Thank you

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada

My POG has perfect tracking...

15. If yer good, you can hit the strings independently, but on the usual, you play both strings together as octave pairs, or you can tune to fifths (or is it fourths?) where, say, the Thick "E" string is tuned to E, then the octave string next to it is tuned to "A", so it sounds like chords...I do that often.

And simply saying "they're hard to play" is irresponsible. It differs from instrument to instrument. Mine is VERY easy to play.

I suggest you get it IF you already have a standard 4 string for regular 4 string duties... as judged by your inquiries.

16. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    I see, Thanks for the clarity =p

17. Not sure how to take that. The "good" comment is more if you super-careful with your plucking hand, I was making no comments on your ability.

And the "hard to play" comment wasn't directed at you.

Again, if you like the sound of an 8, use it as such. But get a 4 for the 4 string stuff... no brainer really.

18. What's the attraction of bass guitar? I would suggest the guitarist just get an octave pedal. Of course many keyboards have bass emulations built right in!

19. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I wasnt saying whats the point of using one, I was saying why would someone want one, if they dont know know how to tune it or use it. I guess I could have worded it differently, for example: Why do you think you want an eight string if you dont evne know how to tune the thing?

20. OK... I see, sorry. I read it too fast, and I'm not always all tyhat bright. that's where the "imbecil" part comes in.