Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scottos150, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Do they make 8 string basses that are set up like a 12 sring guitar :
    G
    G
    D
    D
    A
    A
    E
    E

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]

This is a Dean Rhapsody 8 string. It's a pretty good bass, I've enjoyed breaking into the whole 8 string approach with it.

There are quite a few manufacturers making 8's & 12's: Hamer, Alembic, Zon, etc...

Here's a 12 string bass page, I'm sure most of those brands make 8's too.
    http://www.12stringbass.com

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You can even have them custom msde for you, too, if you don't like the available options.

Oh, look, here's mine, in progress::D

[​IMG]

5. bailstric

bailstric

Aug 12, 2001
    Ontario Canada
    how would u play one??? just liek u would a normal 4 string?

6. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Mark,

That's a glorious pic of your Rhapsody Bubinga 8-string. It's always a treat seeing one close up. Thanks for sharing.

7. There are quite a few companes that make 8 strings tuned in octaves. Not to my tastes, really. Yeah, you play em just like a regular 4 string, or at least I do.

8. That's sorta a trick question.

You can play em like a regular 4 string, like most people do, or you also really mess around with it, only hitting let's sayt he bass string, or only hitting the guitar strings.. In other words, yea it plays similair with a 4 string, however it sorta goes beyond just being a 4 string (obviously it's an 8).

Chords sound a lot better on them, you can do some really cool finger picking on them, IM really looking into buying one, I like messing around with them in the stores.

9. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'd like one with the octave and normal string reversed, so that the normal string is "above" the octave string. I think that'd work better for me, since i prefer to play with my fingers more than a pick.

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This is actually how my fretless is going to be set up. I think it'll make finger style playing much easier. Every time I played a dean 8 in a store, I always ended up using downstrokes with my thumb to get a sound that I liked.

I got a call from Curbow this afternoon as he was setting the neck into the body. After that, he'll carve the top, and finish the neck. I should have it in about a month. I can't wait!

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, will it make it for the get together? sure hope so.

12. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Don't know for sure but I've heard that 8 and 12 strings have a much shorter lifespan 'coz of the strain on the neck. You could always replace the neck I 'spose.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Which is one of the reasons I never would have gotten an 8 string if the neck wasn't going to be made out of Rockwood and quartersawn Rockwood Lite. :) Between the rockwood, rockwood lite, and two graphite bars, I don't think I'll have an issue with the neck strength--can you say over-engineered?

JT--the bass should be done by the get together. Curbow alread has the electronics for it, and it is only going to have an oil and wax finish, so it won't take 3 weeks for the finish to be done. Curbow is painfully aware of the May 11th date, so he is doing his best to get it done.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he better be, dadgummit. :mad: :D. to the best of my knowledge, this will be the first time that we'll have had a doubled-string bass at the get togethers since i started them 4 years ago.

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Don't forget--SilvermanZ has talked about driving up for this shindig, and bringing his 15 string :eek: Warrior with him. This could be fun. :D

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, i better make sure the army is all polished and ready for inspection. :D

17. TMI, dude.. :D :D :D
    I'm hopin' my Curbow 4 will be done by May 11, as well. Let's see.. parting of the Red Sea, Mets winning the '69 World Series.. I suppose there's a possibility!

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :eek: I think I just went blind.

Isn't that the subject of that Samuel Beckett play, Waiting for Curbot?

:D

19. I just want him to finish with your two basses so that he can start on mine!

Mike