Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDom, Jul 13, 2002.

1. BassDom

BassDom

Dec 1, 2001
    Brantford
    Just wondering if anybody could tell me a bit about them. They look interesting and I hear they sound amazing. Has anybody ever played one? Who makes em?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what kind of 8 string - doubled 4 or straight 8?

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think i'll become jt's chorus this evening...

[whining nasal voice]
    more information please, sir...
    [/whining nasal voice]

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Why not get a 3rd person in on this?

So, what kind of 8 string are you talking about?

Peace
    Nick

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D

yep, well, gotta be helpful, now don't we? can't exactly answer questions without all the information on the subjcect, can we?

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that's what i'm preachin', my brutha

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey guys/gals if you noticed most of the people who ask some of these questions in regard to some of the more odd Basses never have any info in their profile.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm wondering what's up with that, Jauqo. i've noticed that, too...

where did bassdom go, anyway?

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Not just him but all the other ones as well :confused:

10. hey everyone,
    Stew from New Orleans checkin' in. sorry I haven't been around, but there's exciting stuff going on for me at the moment. have we established what kind of 8 strings this cat's curious about yet?

ever at the low end,

Stew

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    not yet stew...is this stew from multistringbass on yahoo? what's up, dude!

yeah, Jauqo....people run around screaming 90 string bass! 80" scale! and then it's like they're gone....strange stuff, man....people running around spouting poop...that's what it is :D

12. indeed the same Stew, man. what's up, Neptoon?

odd that the cat posted and split as multistringers are MORE than willing to talk about their axes!

:D

hope all's cool with you cats. stay well and take it light,

from the low end,

Stew

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, really, man...we'll go on and on all day...i mean, take this thread for instance...a guy asked a question, rolled out....and we're still blabbing...hee hee

14. oh my gosh, but we're dorks...! :D

still, I wouldn't trade being this way for anything.

hope all's cool with you, man,

from the low end,

Stew

15. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I hate to see this thread die because I don't know much about basses in general so I thought maybe I'd learn a little bit about 8 strings. So uhm, how about 'straight 8' for now...

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, 8 strings are.....cool. too cool for me ;) gawd, i would be lost on one. heck, i'm lost on my 6 strings!

17. ...here's what I know:

'traditional' 8 strings are basically enhanced 4 string basses, each string is doubled with one an octave higher sitting side-by-side with the first. John Turner notates them as E-e-A-a-D-d-G-g.

the 8's like I play (and they're hardly too cool for you, Neptoon!) are just extended basses. that is, the range is taken further in both directions. some are tuned B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb, others are tuned (like mine) F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F. of course there are alternate versions, too, but these seem to be the most common variants.

Conklin, Warrior, Roscoe and a few others are making them at the moment. even Galveston has gotten into it at the lower cost end of the spectrum. other luthiers and firms will probably make them as custom pieces as well.

as to how they play, I can only speak to my experience. and I will never go back! I'm actually going to have a couple more built for me, but that's a story for another time...

does that help at all?

from the LOW end,

Stew