Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ducaticarl, Oct 16, 2005.

1. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    I am considering buying an 8 string, I am hooked on their unusual sound and I'm looking for some input from others who may have played them. Their are several out there for very reasonable money(under $1000)..the few I've been looking into are the Dean Rhapsody 8, the Schecter studio 8 and the ESP LTD 8...any input would be great..btw I'm aware of the LIne 6 ablity to copy the sound but I'm really not interested in it.

2. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Are you talking 8 bass strings, Or a four string with Octave strings?

3. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    sorry ....4 string with octaves.. :)

4. the schecter stilleto studio has emgs, the dean does too but i hate the body shape of the rhapsody, the schecter is much more tolerable.

5. What about the Dean Edge 8? Same specs but a better looking body, and 500 bucks. Any opinions? I've played it briefly and dug it.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    In his quote, he said the Dean does too, refering to the Dean Edge. I'd go Dean. Cheap, nice, good player.

7. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Warwick do custom 8 strings, they aint cheap though, Stuart Zender used them to great effect.

8. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    thanks everybody for the opinions I went ahead and ordered the Dean Rhapsody with the bubinga finish ..yeah the body shape does take some getting used to...but I have been comparing all the different brands and it seams like Dean is really giving you the most bang for the buck. I went through music123.com got it for $549..got to wait a few weeks for it...backordered

9. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Ah, well I have a Washburn XB928. I loved the sound at first and it was a real joy to play. Nowdays though I just don't have any application for it, but I suppose it's a nice toy to have around.

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    My first 8 was a Dean Rhapsody, I liked it well enough once I got used to it to buy a Dean 12 and eventually sold the 8 to fund an expensive 8. I think very nice for the money, but I hated the stock strings, much more manageable with thinner ones.

11. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    What strings did you switch to???

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    On the Dean 8 string I used Rotosound roundwounds, with a .90 or .95 E string, and La Bella M10 piccolo bass strings for the octave strings. juststrings.com carries both. You may like the stock strings, I personally like thin strings, lots of people like thick ones better. I think the thinner strings are easier to bend, and I've been told they have less tension which is important with bolt on neck basses with many strings. When I got my Dean 12 string, the thick strings had bent the neck like a bow, and switching to .85 Rotosounds and the m10s let me get the action really low and the neck nice and straight, without needing to adjust the truss rod even. Thinner strings aren't as good if you like to tune down, and might not have the lows of the thicker strings, but with active electronics it's simple to boost the lows on the bass.

13. thanks I'll look into getting new strings when the bass comes in.

14. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    I have an amazing fretless 8 string Renaissance that Rick Turner built for me. The 8 combined with fretless is a pretty wild. Its strings are thomastik nylon core with a labella piccolo g octave.

I have a lot of love for the old medium scale Hamers (they're still available on custom order...pretty expensive).

I have a Dean Rhapsody 8 string with an Aguilar EQ that I'm going to put up for sale. I just don't play it and will entertain a modest offer. PM me.

Attached Files:

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Are the pickups stock in the Dean you're selling? I'm not looking to buy, just curious. It seemed to me that the stock preamp wasn't so great but that the pickups themselves were pretty good, I'd been wondering about changing the pre in my Dean 12.

17. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    the 18 volt aguilar helps a lot. The stock pickups are hi-z passive...so the upgraded preamp is a nice touch.

I wonder if switching to a full low-z active system wouldn't add space and clarity to all those yummy overtones.

If Im right the Hamer USA 12's run active pickups...it might be worth it.

18. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    The old Hagstrom 8-strings are awesome.

19. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Believe you are correct there. Myself I'm not a fan of active EMGs, but I've played the Hamers with em and in that application they did sound excellent. I'm a staunch believer in the active passive switch though, and that's tough with the dedicated active pickups.

Played one of the old Hagstroms not long ago, it was a lot of fun.

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    You might be able to find one of the old Hagstroms under $1k, which would be a great investment as far as resale, but they should definitely be played before buying one. They are very small at the nut compared to other octave 8s out there, which leads to tight spacing in the playing area, as well. That said, my Hagstrom is definitely one of my favorite basses to play. If I'm just going to pick one up to fool around on for a few minutes while watching TV or something, that's always the one I go for.