8 string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j b scott, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Hey there,

i have never had the opporunity to play an 8 string bass (the EADG tuning type with two strings for each note, not that other type!)

I was thinking how can this work? wouldn't the little string and the big one clash when they have been plucked?

Is it possible to play fingerstyle with em? or do you have to use a pick to stike them both at the same time?

i do like the concept of it, and i would love to hear any experiences people have with them, and if you would recommend them.

peace :bassist:
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    They're great - someday I'll come across one I like that I can afford. I mostly play fingerstyle, and in my limited experience I generally prefer eights that have the higher pitch string of the pair closer to the floor (down). They're made both ways.
  3. anyone know of any manufacturers putting out inexpensive 8stringers?
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dean makes a pretty nice 8 string that isn't too pricey.
  5. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    actually I'm selling one in the classified. 8 strings are very fun. You can hear in the Pearl Jam song Jeremy where Jeff Ament is using a Hamer 8 string.
  6. godlikenothing

May 25, 2003

I thought Jeff used a 12 string for Jeremy?
  7. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    it might be, but it sounds the same.
  8. I have a Dean Rhapsody 8 and it is a nice bass, the nicest one I've seen for less than a grand. This bass has the octave string on top and I play fingerstyle, pick and slap without any problems, it's just a bit on the heavy handed side to fret though with a medium set, I'm gonna go with a light set soon.
  9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    not so much... an 8 sounds like an 8... a 12 on the other hand is similar to an 8 but just *more* of it... an 8 can sit in a track and sound like maybe a bit of chorus is being used... a 12 doesn't sit on a track, it stands up, stomps up and down and screams "I'm OVER HERE!"

Seriously if you dig the 8 string/12 string sound check out King's X first 4 albums (out of the silent Planet, Gretchen Goes to NB, Faith Hope Love and the no/self titled one) great 12 string tones on a bunch of the stuff...

Jeff Ament does use the 12 on Jeremey, and elsewhere, but not as much as Doug Pinnock from KX...

Tom Peterson was the first to use a 12 on old Cheap Trick stuff... Highly recommended...

Galatic Cowboys' Monte Colvin uses 8's and 12's with great regularity... check out the first cd if you can find it... it's the one with the cow spaceship on the cover

The 8's been used a lot- old Hendrix stuff... I've seen pic's of Walter Brecker playing one with Steely Dan in the early days... John Paul Jones w/ Zepplin used one (still does on his stuff now)

It's a great tool... just another color on the canvas...