1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8-string bridge and nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by toeknee, Nov 18, 2002.

1. toeknee

toeknee

Nov 7, 2002
    Hi guys

I've recently acquired myself a fun new bass - a Shergold double-neck 4-string and 8-string! Check out the pictures at

http://www.invisibletouch.freeuk.com/8str.html

The 4-string half is fantastic, the 8-string needs some work though. The E and A string pairs are OK (and sound as big as a house), but the saddles on the bridge for the D and G strings are cut quite poorly. In fact, the 8-string bridge look as if they've been cut from a normal 4-string bridge. Also, the way the G saddle is cut leaves the string pair perilously close to the edge of the neck - in frantic playing situations, fallout has occurred.

I additionally want to reverse the orientation of the string pairs - they're currently set up for pick-style playing (fundamental string closer to floor, octave string closer to chin) , I'm more a fingers man and would prefer it the other way around (octave string closer to floor, fundamental string closer to chin)

So I'm thinking of getting a modern 8-string bridge and nut (or having them made) to remedy these problems. Can anyone recommend any good repairmen, luthiers and equipment suppliers that would be good for the job?

I live in south-west London, and work in Surrey, UK - but I'm willing to travel to find the right man!

Thanks in advance

Tony

PS. string gauge recommendations for the 8-string are also welcome! It's currently got a set of Roto 100-80-65-45 paired with off-the-shelf Roto singles, 40-35-30-25. So the string pairs are 100&40-80&35-65&30-45&25. Ouch.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow! How can one bass me so damn unattractive, but so damn awesome at the same time! I want! I want!
    Sorry, being in the States I really can't make any recommendations about where to have the work done, but I'm interested in the set-up. When you get the string orientation reversed, I'd like to know what you think of it. I currently play my 8string ('68 Hagstrom) almost exclsively with a pick, and it's oriented the same as yours, but I'm thinking of reversing the order. Please give input when/if you reverse them.