8-string bridge and nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by toeknee, Nov 18, 2002.

1. toeknee

Nov 7, 2002
    Hi guys

I've recently acquired myself a fun new bass - a Shergold double-neck 4-string and 8-string! Check out the pictures at

The 4-string half is fantastic, the 8-string needs some work though. The E and A string pairs are OK (and sound as big as a house), but the saddles on the bridge for the D and G strings are cut quite poorly. In fact, the 8-string bridge look as if they've been cut from a normal 4-string bridge. Also, the way the G saddle is cut leaves the string pair perilously close to the edge of the neck - in frantic playing situations, fallout has occurred.

I additionally want to reverse the orientation of the string pairs - they're currently set up for pick-style playing (fundamental string closer to floor, octave string closer to chin) , I'm more a fingers man and would prefer it the other way around (octave string closer to floor, fundamental string closer to chin)

So I'm thinking of getting a modern 8-string bridge and nut (or having them made) to remedy these problems. Can anyone recommend any good repairmen, luthiers and equipment suppliers that would be good for the job?

I live in south-west London, and work in Surrey, UK - but I'm willing to travel to find the right man!

Thanks in advance

PS. string gauge recommendations for the 8-string are also welcome! It's currently got a set of Roto 100-80-65-45 paired with off-the-shelf Roto singles, 40-35-30-25. So the string pairs are 100&40-80&35-65&30-45&25. Ouch.
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow! How can one bass me so damn unattractive, but so damn awesome at the same time! I want! I want!
    Sorry, being in the States I really can't make any recommendations about where to have the work done, but I'm interested in the set-up. When you get the string orientation reversed, I'd like to know what you think of it. I currently play my 8string ('68 Hagstrom) almost exclsively with a pick, and it's oriented the same as yours, but I'm thinking of reversing the order. Please give input when/if you reverse them.