8-string (doubled-4) neck size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Jul 29, 2002.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

I had a Dean Rhapsody 8 for a short time (I hope you are enjoying it, Mark) and liked it a lot. But the neck was just too wide for me (1-3/4") at the nut. All the available affordable 8-strings seem to use about the same neck size. So a couple of questions:

What's the narrowest nut width you've seen/played on an 8?

Did that neck width work for both pickstyle and fingerstyle playing?

For example the Hagstroms seem to be pretty narrow and short scale but are they playable for fingerstyle?

I'm thinking about someday having an eight put together using a Moses neck (to avoid neck strength issues) and wonder how narrow a neck I could use without making it unusable.
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I most certainly am having a good time with it, Craig! Really got me hooked!

I can't really help with your questions, but I have mentioned to Matt Schmill @ FBB that I might be interested in a custom 8 down the road somewhere... I don't think he's made one before, but it sounds like he's willing to do it.

He's very helpful and makes some great instruments. Couldn't hurt to get his input.
    I'll PM you his address. Or you can check him out in the Luthiers Corner forum.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This was finally finished over the weekend.

The spacing is wider than most, but the neck is pretty thin. It's made of rockwood, so it's as stable as graphite, too. No worries about neck problems here.

I've been able to play with both fingers, and pick fairly easily.