1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8 string (dual course) strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stoopidcooper, Nov 5, 2005.

1. This was posted earlier on the ERB sites...

Piecing together a 8 string bass from warmoth parts, using 54 p bass body and standard 8 string neck, 34 " scale. maple on maple neck, basswood body, mm4.2 p-up (nordstrand)

what options do I have for sets or is it easier to piece together individuals?

Going for an aggressive, grindy sound with the use of a bass overdrive occaisonally.

This is essentially going to be an artillary piece for me for the prog metal band I play in.

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
  3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    I'd say it's easiest to buy a set initially. GHS make one, gauges are (iirc) 90/45, 70/35, 55/25, 40/20. As you get familiar with the instrument you may choose to tweak those and buy individual strings to make a custom set. Not every store will stock long-scale strings as thin as .020, though.

4. Luckily my best friend/guitarist is also the manager of a music store, as an erb guy he stocks those wierd gauges for me, I think I'll start with a set and tweak from there, thansk for the info.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've been really happy mixing Ken Smith piccolo strings with a set of TI Jazz Rounds on my fretless 8 string. The lower tension of the JRs is great when pushing down both strings for long periods of time, and the smaller windings make the two sets have a more similar feel, as well.

This probably wouldn't work well if you are using words like "artillery," though. In that case, I would suggest TI Power Bass strings for the lower set. :ninja: