1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8-String Emulation question (Octave Content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SpazzTheBassist, Apr 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I have both a Zoom B3 and a B1on that I run in tandem ( the B1on is for Parametric EQ only, tailored for different basses I may be bring to my gigs)

The issue I have is my 8-String emulation that I use on select songs. Originally, I found that a +12 8va - playing the fundamental and letting the Zoom B3 processor handle the Octave - produced too many digital artifacts high in the processing so I reversed it: I played one 8va up the neck and set the processor to play the fundamental at -12...This was a drastic improvement and Ive been doing it this way since but, because I am playing up the neck, the string tones are much duller. Playing at the down the neck at the early frets on the high strings helps greatly but I need more range than what is available there

So Im considering an Octave. I would like to go back to playing the fundamental myself andletting the Processor handle the +12 Octave. What do you recommend that has great reproduction of the octave +12 with little or no digital artifacts?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    So basically an octave up? I know the EHX POG series can do this, but I've never used one personally. I've been messing around with the TC Electronics Sub'n'Up to achieve what you're talking about - haven't really gotten there yet, but this pedal seems to have lot of tweak-ability.

3. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Mooer tender

4. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I do so with Line6 M5. Sounds nice when carefully blended, in a live band context.

5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    There is a Digitech pedal, the Mosaic, that purports to turn a guitar into a 12-string; might be worth a look for making your bass a faux-8, but I haven't heard it myself. The key to a convincing 8 sound I think is not just an octave up, but also a very slight detuning chorus sound (more of this makes for a 12-str bass sound which is even cooler, but I don't have the patience for 12 tuners!)

/\/\3phist0 and Bassmike62 like this.
  6. Robertillo

Robertillo

Mar 10, 2005
    Chile
    The problem with the B3's Pitch Shift (and Mono Synth) is the noticeable latency when you're using +12c (you almost don't need a chorus). Is less noticeable if you use the -12c setting, but you lose most of the fretboard.
    You could try with a lesser blend ratio and duller tone (Mono Pitch: Shift 12, Tone 2, Balance 25); the octave string in a 8 string bass is less present than the fundamental, so you don't need a 1:1 blend.
    Also, it depends which sound you are trying to emulate. I have an 8-string, and the playing style affects immensely the sound. If you play it like any regular bass, the fundamental is more dominant (like 70:30), but if you use a pick, alter the eq, use distortion/OD, etc., the octave strings stand out.

7. I've tried doing this with a few pedals. Closest I got was with a nano pog. The pog 2 has a more controls but not sure if the additional controls would help much.

I stopped searching for improvements with pedals and put in some work to get better at playing octaves. I play originals so it wasn't like I was trying to cover a song that was recorded with an 8 strings. Kinda copied the this technique (around one minute into the video)

8. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    My understanding is that some popular octave pedals around here that can do that are the EHX POG, the TC Electronic Sub'n'Up, and the Mooer Tender Octave (NOT the Mooer Pure Octave. Avoid that one like the plague.)

(I'm a proud owner of the Mooer Tender--it's essentially a cheap clone of the EHX Micro-POG--but it's out of print and difficult to find. It has been replaced by the Tender Octave Pro,which looks considerably more versatile but larger and more expensive, but isn't owned by many posters here yet. I don't know how it sounds. )

I agree with the poster above suggesting a chorus. Maybe even splitting the signal and use two choruses?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  9. Matches

Matches

Mar 17, 2012
    Portland, Or
    I also play through a Zoom b3 and I found if I use the setting Gale Plus C1 or Rock Set F7 while using a EHX Micro Pog. You can pick one of these up used through GC or Reverb and it may get the 8 string tone you want. My favorite 8 string player is John Paul Jones but different 8 string players use different rigs and tones etc. Good luck on getting your tone and write back with what results you came up with.

10. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    Mooer Tender Octaver will do you proud.

--^@

11. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Bass Whammy
    Mosaic
    Sub 'n Up

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    How about using chorus instead of octave?
    When I think of 8/12 string tones, chorus is much more in line than an octave.

EDIT: But that video right below is awfully convincing otherwise!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  13. pertyman

pertyman

Jun 10, 2006
    This is a cover I did of Pearl Jam Jeremy using my Sub'n'Up only the upper octave.

BAG, Dave W, /\/\3phist0 and 2 others like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've used a Micro Pog, Whammy Pedal, Pitch Fork, and Tender Octaver. All of them have artifacts and all of them have a very similar sound to a real 8-string. I used to have one and compared them, and sure, it's not 100% identical, but if you mix the upper octave at a low enough level and not let it overwhelm the clean tone, all of them will work for 8-string tones. Most people mix too much octave in there, and it's a dead giveaway.

Jonny_Orange and Robertillo like this.
  15. oysteivi

oysteivi Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Trondheim, Norway
    When I recently watched an 8 string bass clip on YouTube, I was surprised by how much it sounded like the octave up on my micro pog. If I just heard the audio, you could have told me it was a pog, and I'd believe you.

16. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    Really nice cover! That Sub'n'Up has a pretty convincing 8-string tone, even w/ some of the chording you're doing. Do you get much glitch if you're playing multiple sustained notes? I was hoping to find an octave up to pair w/ a Bass VI, but i'd be afraid playing anything greater than 0 note chords would just become mush.

17. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Maybe try this:

Right now it is my go to octave tone. When I'm just doing regular finger style I set the up octave and the dry signal at noon and the down octave at 9:00.

For slap style I turn the up all the way off and turn the down up to 3:00.

C/S,
    Rev J

18. pertyman

pertyman

Jun 10, 2006
    No glitches at all

19. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I played an 8-string for most of 2016, but got an EHX Pitch Fork to use with my normal 5-stringer. Especially with dirty sounds, it's awesome. With very clean sounds it's still quite good, and as JimmyM said, remember to use Blend, the upper octave shouldn't be too loud (unles you really want it to be...). I'm happy with the Pitch Fork, though I sometimes dream of a 10-string...

Last edited: May 11, 2017