Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 string fretless conklin (ebay)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyBishop, Apr 6, 2002.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=856337180

"You are bidding on an Conklin 8 String Fretless bass. This is in excellent condition. It has fret makers to help you navigate through the perro fan. The bass retails for over $4,000. Love the bass but need the cash. It has a custom bartolini Pick-up. Sounds Awesome. Comes with the case pictured. Please e-mail with any questions. Paypal prefered. Cashier's Check or money order accepted."

Wheeeew I bet that would be tricky to play :/

8 strings + fretless + fanned = One crazy bass

2. That is sweet, fanned frets...love em ....Conklins...love em ...8 strings...???

Definitely an interesting bass. Just wish it had a different pickup configuration. And maybe some controls.

Geoff

3. I definately have to agree with you on that one. It's a beautiful bass, i'd love to have myself a Custom Conklin one of these days myself, but that one, due to electronics really throws me off.

4. Seems like I've seen that one for sale several times in different places--I can't imagine there are two basses like that!

It was actually in Bass Palace when I was in there at one point, but I was scared to pick it up... :eek:

Mike

5. I KNEW I had seen that bass before, but I couldn't put my finger on where. Thanks.

Geoff

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that was made originally for jauqo, who frequents the boards around here.

i've played it before - sorta tonally limited for my tastes. that's funny, it was the "dream bass" supposedly for the guy who picked it up from the bass palace.

7. I like it, just wish I had the money for it.

8. It was also on the Luthier's Access Group site for a while before that, as I recall.

Mike

9. Yeah, that pickup placement makes no sense to me.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's what jauqo wanted - he's a member here, you could ask him what he his thougts were at the time.

11. [​IMG]
    :eek: :eek:

I always wondered what a fretless version of the Dingwall Voodoo bass would be like to play-

imagine being handed that Conklin just before you had to go onstage- I'm gonna have nightmares about that:eek:

12. I'm going to apoligize in advance for my ignorance, but aren't the fretmarks on that thing a little... misplaced?

13. OMG, that would be awful. I don't know what i'm do.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hello guys,yes that was once my bass,its a little sad seeing it, you know how it is.anyway it is a one of a kind I had Bill(Conklin)make me.the one pickup worked for me well,it allowed just the right amount of punch that I look for in a fretless.I think when JT played it he didn't have the proper time to really tweak it.it has a very nice sweet fretless tone with, for me just the right amount of bite,given that it only had one pickup,and one volume knob allowed for me the clarity of the notes to sing very nicely.I got rid of it because of its weight,after doing my share of shows with it,in all honesty it started wearing me down.Im not being negative but I think its going to be a hard sell.
    JAUQO III-X

15. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    No, the frets are fanned...longer scale on the lower strings, and shorter scale on the higher strings.