Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 string in need of repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ugo, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    hi,
    i've got a Tune Zi-3-8N thats in need of some neck work that is beyond my current knowledge/ability. i was wondering if some of the luthiers here could let me know their thoughts on my problem. here's whats wrong...

with the strings at full tension, the neck wont adjust back far enough. the truss rod still works, but it would appear that the neck is warped. im assuming that the neck will probably need to be steamed/weighted or something along those lines to warp it back into alignment.

additional, but more minor problems are that the fingerboard has begun to delaminate from the 1st - 3rd frets and it could probably use a fret dressing after all this is done. i figure i'd just have all this done at the same time, by the same person.

do any of you luthiers here take on neck bending jobs or, if you prefer not to work on basses other than your own, can you recommend someone to warp the neck back into place? also, can you estimate how much this may cost? of course, i understand if you would prefer not to publicly discuss prices. in that case, please PM me.

i love the tone and feel of this bass and i'd love to get it back into prime playing condition.

thank you for the info and advice,
    -ugo

ps. its a multi piece neck through. (im at work right now, but if memory serves me, its either a 3 piece or 2 piece neck.)
    edit: its a 4 piece maple neck.