8 string Kramer Bass - urgent question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazy B., Feb 6, 2004.

1. Can anyone please tell me something about the 8 string Kramer Bass of which 2 pics are attached? I have a meeting on monday with someone who wants to sell it. But he can't tell me much about it and I have to think about a good price. He asks 500 euro for it.

The pics:

This is all the info and all the pics I have. Oy yeah, it's fretless.

Hope someone can help me. Especcially of course in determining a good price...
  2. any pictures of the body?
  3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Judging by the pics,it might be an older model (produced somewhere in the '70's).I recall such axes as having aluminium-made neck and "Flying-V" body.In fact,the instruments I saw back there were 4-stringers,but it's very posible that Kramer made also an 8-stringed version.However,I don't remember anything about the pick-ups,except they were some humbuckers....all I remember is an awful overall sound and a silly sensation when playing that metal neck.....arghhhh!
    Also,be sure to carefully inspect the "fretless" fingerboard.It might be just an unhappy de-fretted instrument.
    Um,one more thing:I'm not sure at all the bass in question is a REAL 8-stringer,because the way those thin strings are going through the head...maybe having the keys on the opposite side?
    Please take my comments only as a "the Grumpy's mumbling",but also,be careful not to buy a forgery!
    500 Euros are big bucks for such an instrument,and you'd want to buy a better bass!
    Good luck!
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Kramer did make an 8 string model called XL-8 (doh) , looked a little like a B.C. Rich Bich. Four strings tuned at the headstock, four below the bridge. Schaller bridge and tuners, DiMarzio pickups.

I never saw a fretless one, but Kramer did offer fretless boards as an option on all their aluminum neck basses. More likely it was defretted, in any case it will be easy to tell when you see it.

In the USA they go for $4-500 in good condition.
  5. I BOUGHT HIM, the 8 string Kramer. Thanks for all your input!

See: http://www.the-ox.com/graphics/kramer.jpg

Now two more questions have risen:
    * nowhere on the instrument the name Kramer appears. Is this right? I mean, I'm not laid off with some cheap copy am I?!
    * Can anybody tell me what all the different knobs are for?
  6. jimjonah

Mar 3, 2004
    I'll look when I get home, I have one.

Question: how many saddles are on the bridge? When I bought mine new years ago it only had four. I was young and didn't know better. Only four meant that there was no way the intonation would ever be correct.
  7. Hi, willing to answer your question, but English is not my native language; what do you mean by sadles?