Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 string (non-octave) Dolan custom bass project, or part out FT/FS

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Tim Cole, May 18, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Not sure what to make of this, but it cost someone a bunch of bucks to have made. Will sell/trade complete as pictured if someone wants to try to make some repairs or use the parts for another custom, or may part out. It needs TLC, here are the issues:

It is left handed, and an 8 string. These are issues for me, but not everyone. However there is one issue that will be a problem for anyone....the truss rod is broken. The relief isn't horrible, it seems playable, but I wouldn't plan on picking it up as a player as-is. There is also some fret sprout (sharp fret edges on side of the board), and a crack through the fingerboard (fingerboard only) as pictured.

There are a LOT of nice parts on this bass. All 8 tuners are gotoh, not sure who made the bridge, but it can be used with as many or as few strings as desired. Each saddle is it's own bridge, independent of the others. I am not sure who made the pickups, but I will try to find out. They are of high quality though, with very nice handmade wooden covers. No preamp, this bass is passive.

In other words, this needs some work but would be a great project for a luthier (pro or hobbyist) to make a few bucks on, a great start to building your own first custom bass, a dang nice looking wall hanging, warm firewood for the winter months, or anything you want to do with it. Only items I am keeping are the case, and the straplocks which have already been removed.

I'm really interested in trades, and don't really care for what. I like new toys, and my original plans of replacing the truss, and body wings to convert it to righty sound like more work than I will probably ever get to. Hell, I don't even really like 5 strings, so I doubt 8 is going to do much for me. This probably cost someone 3 grand to build, and if it weren't for the truss/fingerboard issues, I'd call it mint.

Drop me a PM with trade or cash offers.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    You might consider putting each of those pics on their own line as to make your thread alot easier to read ;)

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I realize that, but A: I didn't feel like editing pics, and B: it shows better details in the pics. Thanks for the bump.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Editing Pics? More Details? I just meant doing this, so that your thread isn't like 5 pages wide and you don't have to scroll back and forth to read the text. And here's another free bump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Tim Cole